Expand my Community achievements bar.

PDF Preview Not Available

Former Community Member
In LiveCycle, I used to be able to preview my forms as a pdf, then one day I couldn't - no tab, not available on view menu and F5 does not work. Any idea how this option became unavailable? When I first noticed it a few months back I research the issue, but was unable to find a fix that worked. I've repaired and I've reinstalled. Nothing.
6 Replies

Former Community Member
I am experiencing this same problem with LiveCycle ES.

Other team members seem to have access to the PDF Preview feature which is working fine. All installations were performed at the same time and in the same way on SOE PC's.

Would appreciate any information on how this problem is caused and more importantly, how it can be overcome.

Former Community Member
well you just go on the tab;any one of Body Pages or Master Pages that are visible to you.Right click on it and then you will see a window with your PDF Preview not checked.Just click on it and ur problem will b solved Insha'Allah.

Regards

Shoaib

Former Community Member
Hi Shoaib

Unfortunately the option is simply not available at the locations you mention. Right clicking on the tab of either Master Pages or Design View (the two visible pages) does not display an option for selecting or ticking the PDF Preview page.

Likewise, selecting the View menu option does show the Preview PDF option however this is greyed out and cannot be selected.

Nevertheless I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and invite any other suggestions you may have.

Regards

Jose

Former Community Member
if this is still an issue you might want to try reinstalling acrobat reader. if can't view pdf files I think this feature will be disabled within LiveCycle

Former Community Member
Hi Dennis

Thanks for your update. I've finally had a chance to reinstall the application.

I firstly removed Reader v7.0.5 and v8.1 as well as LiveCycle 8.1. Then reinstalled the default reader and LiveCycle.

The Preview PDF tab has now returned.

Interestingly a colleague (who also has both versions of Adobe reader installed) who installed the application originally at the same time never experienced any problems.

Amanda, I can't quite make out from your initial post on 11/12 whether you also uninstalled 'all' versions of reader at the same time and not just LiveCycle. I'm sorry if you have and it didn't improve. I know how frustrating it is when things just don't work.

Former Community Member
Hello,

I was having this same problem and sent Dennis's solution to our IT guy. His response, which worked quickly and easily, is below:

It seems like I recall updating your Acrobat Reader the last time I worked on your computer. When I did that, I may have set Reader as your default pdf viewer. Based on what youre describing, this may be whats causing the problem. Designer may require Acrobat to be your pdf viewer and NOT Reader in order to give you the option you mention.

Lets try this first:

1. Double-click My Computer or select it from the Start menu.

2. Select Tools > Folder Options, and then select the File Types tab.

3. Locate PDF extension from the list and click Change.

4. Select the version of Acrobat or Adobe Reader you would like to use as the default viewer and click OK.

5. Click OK to close the Folder Options window.

Good luck to all,

Kim