Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

Making a field Inactive/active depending on user input

Former Community Member
Is there any way possible to make a field inactive (user cannot enter data)...and make it active at run time depending on user action.

I have a form with one drop down list(with choices yes & No) and two text boxes..

if the user selects "yes" from the drop down list, then both the fields become mandatory...else they are optional...My problem is if the user tabs out of first text field without entering..an error message is displayed...and the tab goes to next text field..user cannot enter anything there as there is an error message from previous textfield..so if I try to tab out of Text field2..second error msg is displayed as it is mandatory too..now I am unable to get out of this loop....I have to terminate the application in order to stop it...can anyone please help??
24 Replies

Former Community Member
I cannot upload the form anywhere but I can try make a similar one & load...for the time being I moved textfield2 after textfield3, that ways the tab doesnt flow from 1 to 2, instead it goes 1 to 3 to 2...which works well in my form as all fields are related...so now i dont need to worry abt making field-- open/read only or visible/invisible anymore...i know that is not a solution but WHATEVER WORKS....

Former Community Member
It sounds like you've found a work-around.

I'm still willing to have a look at your form, if you'd like me to try and figure-out what's going on. Please email the form in XDP format to dev_info@adobe.com with the following subject: "Making a field Inactive/active depending on user input".

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
I received your form and had a look at it. Unfortunately, I don't think I can reproduce the problem you're having. From what I can see, selecting "yes" from the drop down box enables the validation you have set on TextField1 as well as TextField2 however TextField2 is still disabled at this point. Tabbing out of TextField1 without entering a value shows an error message and sets focus back to TextField1. Entering a value and tabbing out of TextField1 enables TextField2 and sets focus to it (no problems there). Tabbing out of TextField2 without entering any value shows an error message and sets focus back to TextField2.

Am I missing something? I may have gotten a little confused with what the desired result is.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
After your message i opened the form at home and I dont see that problem either. i think the problem is that I worked on LiveCycle7.0 and opened it in reader 6.0. LiveCycle7.0 does not give me the option of saving it compatible to 6.0.

So when I opened at home, which is reader 7.0, I didnt have any problem either. This is weird though.

Thanks for all your help on this matter.