Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

how to do wordwrap in text fields.

Former Community Member
Hey guys. Here's my problem;

The person types in their answers into the form that I've created through Adobe Designer. When I view online or print out the form, the entire answer for any text field is not seen. Their answer will scroll towards the right endlessly without wrapping down to the next line. In essence, the wordwrap is not on. Is there a way to ensure that wordwrap is on and that the text skips down to the next lines so that I can see and print it out correctly?

thanks,

dean
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Dean

select the field you want to wrap. Click on the object tab and then the field tab. The object tab is available through the Window menu if not visible. Click on the "Allow multiple lines" tickbox. Also, you will need to ensure that the field can expand and that any subforms around this field can also expand. Expanding tickboxes are available through the layout tab.

John

Former Community Member
Something else to consider, if you want to have expandable text fields, you'll need to save your document as a dynamic .pdf. Static .pdf's will still leave you with a small "+" sign in the lower right corner of the text field if the user fills all the available space and continues to type. You may want to consider putting in a script to limit the scrolling of text fields, so that the user cannot type beyond the limits of the field.

For example:

var myDoc = event.target;

var f = myDoc.getField("formname[0].subformname[0].fieldname[0]");

f.doNotScroll = true;

Put this script into the initialize event of the field you want to limit the scrolling of, and change the names to match the field you want to specify.

Former Community Member
John and David-

Thanks for these helpful tips. I will put these into action. Again, I really appreciate it as I was clueless to figure this out.

Former Community Member
I was having this same issue, and the script was a big help - thank you. I am having one further problem: I have a section of my form which requires multiple lines. When I create the text box (it's an incident report) the cursor starts in the middle of the box. How can I get the alignment to be at the top? I would like them to start typing at the top of the box as opposed to dead center.

I would appreciate any help!

Former Community Member
If you go into the Paragraph tab, you'll see the controls for text alignment. You can control right/left/center/justify on the top left, and top/middle/bottom on the top right. If the paragraph window's not open by default, you can open it by going to Window >> Paragraph.

Regards,

Dave