Expand my Community achievements bar.

Attention: Experience League Community will undergo scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, August 20th between 10-11 PM PDT. During this time, the Community and its content will not be accessible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Hidden Fields Issue

Former Community Member
Hello everyone currently I have multiple invisible text fields and dropdownlists within my form (using LifeCycle Designer 8). When a user clicks on a radio button the invisible fields are shown and the user makes their appropriate selections...no problems there. The problem is that after all selections are made and the form is saved the fields are invisable again and the user is unable to see what selection where made. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
4 Replies

Former Community Member
When Save Rights are added to the document, only the data is saved, not the changing form layout (Designer/Reader 7.1). So far, I have had this happen with textfields, dropdownlists, checkboxes, radiobuttons, and subforms, which are all initially hidden. If you re-check yes on a radio button, and this brings up a hidden field, your data should still be there, unless, of course, you have written in code to clear that data.

Former Community Member
I did resolve the issue. My solution is as follows:

While in LifeCycle Designer

File > Form Properties > Defaults

Then selected the "Automatically" radio button under "Scripting" instead of Manually.

Now when a user clicks on a radio button and makes a selection from what was previously the invisible fields (now visible) after clicking the radio button, all selections made at the time the form is saved is still now shown once the form is reopened.

Former Community Member
Unfortunatley, this feature is not available with Designer 7.1. I currently have a service request into the Adobe Developer site for a solution. I am glad to hear it does work with 8.x. I understand, though, from the Developer site, if you use this method, and want to open in Reader 7.x, it will not retain the layout.

Former Community Member
Hi Helen and William,

When a dynamic XML form is saved, changes made to the data will be saved, however changes made to the layout wont. Instead, the layout is re-generated each time the form is opened.

The layout changes made by scripts relying on data will be preserved. But changes initiated by user interaction wont. For example, clicking a button to show/hide a field.

As you already found out, you can enable the Preserve Scripting Changes To Form When Saved option (Form Properties | Defaults tab), introduced in Designer 8.0.

For earlier versions of Designer, you can write some scripts to remember the form state.

There is an example at

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/designer_scripting_samples.html

Look for the sample titled Remember the state of field properties changed by scripting (dynamic PDF).

Regards,

Hélène

Adobe Systems