Expand my Community achievements bar.

HELP!!! Problems in opening Pagemaker files in Indesign

Former Community Member
I am an editior for mathemtics books. I used to use the Pagemaker 7.0 to prepare my book. Before inputting the materials into the Pagemaker, I typed all of my contents in Microsoft Word. In the Microsoft Word environment, other than the text, I¡¦ve used WordArt, Equation Editor as well as some diagramsand effects. Then, I copied all the stuffs into Pagemaker directly (some as texts and some as objects). The process went smoothly and there were no problems in the past. But when I switched to use Indesign this week, I¡¦ve encountered serious problems.

First of all, if I tried to open the old Pagemaker files, the following

contents cannot be displayed normally:

Some of the fonts with special effects

Mathematical equations (I made them in equation editor in Microsoft Word. In fact, I found equation editor in Pagemaker also but I can¡¦t find that in Indesign.)

Some of the diagrams.

The error message says the following:

¡§Tracking values were modified. Please check text composition in converted

document.

No fill patterns are supported at this time.

Lock/Unlock property of objects are set based on group¡¦s property.¡¨

Then, I tried to copy the materials from Microsoft Word to Indesign (which I usually did for Pagemaker as before). But still, it didn¡¦t work. I¡¦ve looked into help and then used ¡§Paste without formatting¡¨ but the result was still no good.

As Indesign is a placement for Pagemaker, I think there should be solutions to the problems above. Is there any procedure done wrong or do I need to adjust some settings?

Hopefully you can understand my situation. I¡¦ve prepared all the materials under Microsoft Word and want to copy them into Indesign to publish a book. It¡¦s painful for me to re-type all the materials into Indesign again. There were no problems for me to copy into Pagemaker. So would you please kindly help me to figure out how I can fix it? As the deadline for me to submit the materials to the publisher is approaching, I¡¦m really in a hurry.

Thanks very much for your attention and looking forward to receiving your

reply!

Regards,

Alex
0 Replies