Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Having Reader be able to save a completed fill able form.

Former Community Member
Is there any way to allow someone with Reader to have the ability to save the information added in on a fill able PDF form? I have tried several different things and it always says it can only save a blank document.

What about having the email submit button automatically email the person who is filling the information in? As in the email will vary based on which desktop it is being filled on.

Or do they need standard or professional? If so, would standard do the job?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
I ran into this myself and the "all knowing" people at Adobe decided to make us have to buy ANOTHER product called Adobe Document Server 6.0 for Reader Extensions.

You can get a trial version from the Adobe site but it puts a watermark on all the forms.

I hope this helps!

Former Community Member
You can use the email submit button as work around, as it will let you save the XML filled with the user's values. However, to save a full copy of a PDF with the values already in it, you need Acrobat Pro or reader extensions.

Former Community Member
I'm sorry Adam but you are wrong. I have Adobe Professional Version 7.0 and it will do everything EXCEPT let me allow the users to save their filled in form locally. You HAVE to have reader extensions and pay an additional fee, which, as you can probably tell, I think is prepostureous.

Former Community Member
Trust me, Acrobat Pro will allow you to both save the filled out PDF AND save the XML, separately. Reader WILL NOT allow you to do this, but if you have an email button. The point of reader extensions is to allow people without Acrobat to be able to save a filled out form, thus why reader is free. Reader extensions works on a form by form basis, so it can be portable. Acrobat Pro, which ISNT free, allows you to do all of this, which is why it isnt free. The point is that Adobe doesnt want anyone to have any save capability without having to pay for it first. If you have a form with an email submit button, you can open it in reader, click it, and email the xml with the values in it.

Level 7
Before you come to blows, I think you are just agreeing loudly.

On the one hand, you can buy Reader Extensions (once) and make files

that can be saved with Reader.

OR, you can buy Acrobat, not just once, but for everyone. It can in

fact be Acrobat Standard or Acrobat Professional.

Aandi Inston