Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Forms not working correctly after being e-mailed

Former Community Member
Hello,

I'm fairly new to Livecycle but I've learned quite a bit just from reading these forums. I'm having somewhat of a unique problem.

I put together a handful of forms and e-mailed them to someone to review. When they got them they reported things like print button not working and fields which have tons of space cutting off after only 10 or so characters. I thought maybe something was just corrupted in the e-mail process so I checked the files and they all worked fine for me. I resent them and they reported back to me different this time. Some of them printed fine and others that worked before now did not. Also some weirdness with the fields. I would post a link where you can download these forms to have a look but unfortunately I've signed a NDA regarding their content so I can't.

Has anyone had this difficulty before and know what I might be able to do to fix it from happening again? I would suggest to the people I'm sending them to that something is wrong with the computer on their end but in this case they have an office full of hundreds of PCs and apparently they are getting the weird "bugs" on every PC they tried so far.

The construction of the forms is pretty simple, they are just fill in the blank and print out kind of deal. I'm not a programmer so it's just limited to what I can do with the vanilla features.

EDIT> I forgot to mention that I am saving these forms as a Dynamic form because I'm using some functions with the floating fields and as Acrobat 7 PDFs. The people opening these forms are using Acrobat 9 OR Reader.

Thanks
8 Replies

Former Community Member
It's been a while since I've played around with LiveCycle and PDF forms, and the first thing I would have checked would have been the Save As a Dynamic Form. As you have already done this then it may be worth trying the Enable Usage rights tool in Adobe Acrobat i.e. open the form in Acrobat; select Advanced>Enable Usage Rights and then save the blank form. This will allow users to edit and save the form locally, plus other features such as digital signatures will be enabled (if the signature field has been added to the form). Not sure whether this will solve your problem though.

It may be worth also installing Reader 9 and opening your forms from there for testing - though I would leave Acrobat as the default viewer.

A user friendly reference guide: "Creating Dynamic Forms with LiveCycle Designer", by JP Terry is pretty helpful.

Good luck

Former Community Member
I checked out the local B&N, Borders and Waldenbooks and nobody had it in stock but thank you for the tip. I just ordered it from Amazon and I can't wait to read it.

Meanwhile I'm going to try to save the forms as version 8 Dynamic and then try the enable usage rights too

Former Community Member
Hello,<br /><br />I am a newbie. I just created a Daily task report form in Adobe live cycle designer 8.0. I inserted a submit by email button in the form. In testing, i press the submit by email button, it is emailed to the specified person, however they are not able to see the form. Instead, a notepad file is sent with giberish info.<br /><br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><br /><form1<br />><DepartmentName<br />/><ContactName<br />/><FromDate<br />/><ToDate<br />/><DateEntered<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><ProjectTask<br />/><Mon<br />/><Tues<br />/><Comments<br />/><DropDownList1<br />/><CheckBox1<br />>0</CheckBox1<br />><CheckBox2<br />>0</CheckBox2<br />></form1<br />><br /><br />Can someone please assist me.<br />Thanks

Former Community Member
The email submit button will return the data typed into the form by the user, not the form itself. However the recipient should be able to import this data into a blank copy of the original form. Assuming they have Adobe Acrobat they should select Forms>Manage Form Data>Import Data.

If the recipient only has Reader, then it would be simpler to remove the Email Submit button and just use the Mail Icon in the Acrobat toolbar.

There are other ways to send forms, but it really depends on what you want to do with them.

Former Community Member
OK. I went ahead and tested the form. The email is sent with a notepad file as an attachment, with file extension xml. I dont think I am doing something correctly. Can someone please guide me through this? I created a form... how do I save it? I need to distribute the forms to members of staff and have them hit the SUBMIT by EMAIL button that i placed on the form. But as it is right now, if they were to hit this button, a notepad file is sent with the email.... the contents of which is unreadable.<br /><br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><br /><form1<br /><br /> <DepartmentName /><ContactName /><FromDate /><ToDate /><DateEntered /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><ProjectTask /><Mon /><Tues /><Comments /><DropDownList1 /><CheckBox1 0</CheckBox1 <CheckBox2 0</CheckBox2 </form1 <br /><br />thanks

Former Community Member
If you really want to use the standard email submit button in this way, for users with Adobe Reader only, you will need to distribute the form. You can do this from either Designer or Acrobat. The process will involve setting up a dataset which you will save locally and a "pub" version of the form which is also saved locally and then distributed to a mailing list that you determine. Alternatively you can save the form and send it later or post the form to a website or intranet.

When the user submits the completed form you will add the received copy to the dataset. Try and keep the form light in its design to keep the dataset size manageable.When you open the document you will be asked if you want to add it to a particular dataset which you can browse for, or a new dataset which you can create there and then. This will allow you to group particular returns in seperate locations.

Hope this helps.

Former Community Member
I'm not sure if there is a post already in relation to my Q. I need assistance with setting permissions on a pdf form... Or is it even possible?

I am distributing forms to members of staff. Once they fill in the data on the form, they are to submit the form via email to our supervisor.

Our supervisor would like to receive the form locked. In order words, he wont be able to make any edits to the submitted form.

How can i create a form which ONLY makes provision to be used by the desired employee only... and no one else.

Please help.

Thanks,

Fernanda

Former Community Member
I'm not sure if there is a post already in relation to my Q. I need assistance with setting permissions on a pdf form... Or is it even possible?

I am distributing forms to members of staff. Once they fill in the data on the form, they are to submit the form via email to our supervisor.

Our supervisor would like to receive the form locked. In order words, he wont be able to make any edits to the submitted form.

How can i create a form which ONLY makes provision to be used by the desired employee only... and no one else.

Please help.

Thanks,

Fernanda