Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Forms limited to 500 uses or users?

Former Community Member
I am new to Acrobat Professional 8. I have read somewhere about a limit of 500 uses or users. I could find nowhere on the site where it specifies in detail what this means. I have created a form with LiveCycle Designer and I want to send it to all our users, which is about 50. I want them to be able to keep a blank copy of this form and they will frequently need to fill it out and submit it electronically to one particular user. I am not sure what this 500 limit entails and I do not want to run into an issue later where people would no longer be able to submit the form.

I would also like to put a fillable job application form on our web-site so people can fill that in electronically and submit to our HR department.

If anyone can clarify the 500 limit i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,

Chad
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Chad

I was told at a PDF Conference that the 500 limit refers to when you enable user rights, that then the form you created would be limited to 500 users. If you didn't enable the user rights, then there should be no problem.

Hope that helps!

Paula Flores

Former Community Member
I've got Professional version 8 installed. The info below is from the legal notice contained in my install.

-------------------

14.13.3 For any unique Extended Document, you may only either (a) Deploy such Extended Document to an unlimited number of unique recipients but shall not extract information from more than five hundred (500) unique instances of such Extended Document or any hardcopy representation of such Extended Document containing filled form fields; or (b) Deploy such Extended Document to no more than five hundred (500) unique recipients without limits on the number of times you may extract information from such Extended Document returned to you filled-in by such Recipients. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, obtaining additional licenses to use Acrobat Professional shall not increase the foregoing limits (that is, the foregoing limits are the aggregate total limits regardless of how many additional licenses to use Acrobat Professional you may have obtained).

-------------------

A - (500) INSTANCES - Transactions / UNLIMITED Users

B - (500) USERS - Recipients /UNLIMITED Instances

I've seen other discussions in forums about how they'd enforce it.

I've also wondered about PDF ebooks/products. Say you rights enabled one with some type of form field, for whatever purpose. And you marketed and sold it as a product. If the form wasn't used in any kind of "extracting information" as mentioned above, would it then be legal to "deploy" it to more than 500 people....? It would be an Extended Document, but again, no transactions.

The wording in legal notice to me implies more of a business scenario, web or email based transactions, that type of mind-set.

I'd be interested on someone else's interpretation of the legal stuff.

Thanks

Mike Foster

Former Community Member
You also need 14.13.1, which gives a definition of an extended document.

This is one that has had usage rights enabled (Advanced --> Enable Usage Rights), or this is how it reads to me.

Therefore if usage rights are enabled- so that people using reader can save the form, the limit of 500 applies,

otherwise, there is no limit.

That's how it now reads to me..