Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Flowable expandable text data needs to grow visibly

Former Community Member
I am very new to creating forms.

I began creating a dynamic form in Livecycle 8. There are 2 master pages, with different headers. The first page is working fine. The header correctly goes to page 2 and beyond. But on the 2nd (and 3rd?) pages I need to place 16 questions and allow the user to respond with unlimited text for any of the 16 questions. It will be saved as a PDF and the user needs to have a complete viewable form and response document to return to me.

Should I keep searching for answers or am I trying to do the undoable?
22 Replies

Former Community Member
Form is working!

Niall O'Donovan provided a wonderful form with multiple and expandable question fields that I was able to download from the LiveCycle Designer Center. I am so greatful to all of you who provide these wonderful samples. There were others who provided information I used along the way. Thank you! irene

Former Community Member
Even though the text fields are expandable to accommodate a large amount of text, the entire answer does not print out. How do you make the fields expandable so entire answer can be seen?

Former Community Member
As I said I'm very new to the forms and it is a little overwhelming. That's why the examples I find are so helpful.

I had to work with subforms and make them flowable and checked to allow page breaks within content. I also have my document being returned to me as a PDF.

After you tab out of each text field, the field expands. I have the text field layout set at Expand to fit in the height area.

Were you able to find Niall O'Donovan's sample? I could send you mine if you need it. It is hard for me to talk the talk at this early stage. I am just glad things are working.

Aaron Blackmer's comment to Laura also helped me -

You will have to set the main subform to flow content, and you will have to have all your form fields in a subform that is set to positioned. You also will have to select the fields you want to expend, and under the layout tab you will need to make sure you have Expand to Fit box checked.

Aaron

Level 3

Hi~

People here in the forums have been great with helping me with my forms; however, I am still not understanding what I did wrong to the forms and no one is telling me what I did wrong.  Irene, I would love to see the samples that you were given.

Thanks~

Tammie

Former Community Member
Does anyone have an answer to ekoz's problem printing exandable text fields in a PDF? I am also having the same problem with an on-line Congressional pdf.

Thank you. bumbermi@gmail.com

Level 3

I am not sure I understand exactly what is going wrong. But here are some suggestions.

* Will not allow enough text

- make sure the "Allow Multiple Lines" box is checked for that text box (Found on field page)

- make sure you haven't accidently ticked "Limit Length" or "Limit to visible area" check boxes

* Allows enough text but the box doesn't grow to show text

- make sure the subform content is "Flowed" (found on Object> subform page) and you may even want to check the "Allow page breaks within content"

Does this help or is the problem something different to these??

Level 3

Ok...I want to start my form, when do I make the page flowable/western text?? I made two other documents and didn't encounter any problems until my 2nd page. I then asked for help and someone from Adobe corrected my form but didn't tell me what I need to do. If you respond after 4:30 PM EST, please email it to this address and also my home email, harley_mama32@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot.

Level 1

Late in the game, I know, but I'm having this same issue. Can you please direct me to the form that Niall

mentioned from the download center?

Level 6

it was taken down some time ago.  Do you need a basic sample to dissect?  email me an address where I can send you one if you like.

Level 1

that would be great! i'm not getting my subform and text to "bump"

everything down.

my email (if it's not showing) is nancy.serba@danisco.com.

Thank you!

Nancy Serba

Project Administrator/Purchasing Coordinator

Engineering - Americas

Danisco U.S.A.

3329 Agriculture Dr.

Madison, WI 53716

paulk07 <forums@adobe.com>

Posted date : 03/10/2010 08:53:30 AM MST

Please respond to

clearspace-40020329-618324-2-2648802@mail.forums.adobe.com

Stationery name:-Untitled-

To

serba nancy <nancy.serba@danisco.com>

cc

Subject

Flowable expandable text data  needs to grow

visibly

it was taken down some time ago. Do you need a basic sample to dissect?

email me an address where I can send you one if you like.

Level 2

May I also have  a sample emailed to me?

Thank you,

ettacayd@willamalane.org

Level 3

I will be out of the office starting 12/03/2010 and will not return until

22/03/2010.

I will respond to your message when I return 22 March 2010. For urgent

matters please contact Paul Humphreys.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The information contained in this email is intended for the named recipient(s)

only. It may contain private, confidential, copyright or legally privileged

information. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this

email by mistake, please reply to the author and delete this email immediately.

You must not copy, print, forward or distribute this email, nor place reliance

on its contents. This email and any attachment have been virus scanned. However,

you are requested to conduct a virus scan as well. No liability is accepted

for any loss or damage resulting from a computer virus, or resulting from a delay

or defect in transmission of this email or any attached file. This email does not

constitute a representation by the NSW Police Force unless the author is legally

entitled to do so.

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

Is it possible to create flowable expandable text data using adobe acrobat 9? I'm trying to create some forms where the text is expanadle for certain sections and can then be printed but...I'm struggling bigtime! Any help / advice would be much appreicated.

Thanks,

Ken

Level 3

22/03/2010.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

on its contents. This email and any attachment have been virus scanned. However,

for any loss or damage resulting from a computer virus, or resulting from a delay

or defect in transmission of this email or any attached file. This email does not

constitute a representation by the NSW Police Force unless the author is legally

entitled to do so.

Level 1

Hi Ken,

I think there was a bit of a mixup on the forum (I'm not Paul). Anyway, I

had problems with

flowable text, but I'm using Adobe Professional 8 and LiveCycle. I figured

out how to make

it work in LiveCycle, but have not used 9.

Nancy Serba

Project Administrator/Purchasing Coordinator

Engineering - Americas

Danisco U.S.A.

3329 Agriculture Dr.

Madison, WI 53716

kenneth83 <forums@adobe.com>

Posted date : 03/17/2010 02:05:39 PM CST

Please respond to

clearspace-2021813527-618324-2-2667068@mail.forums.adobe.com

Stationery name:-Untitled-

To

serba nancy <nancy.serba@danisco.com>

cc

Subject

Flowable expandable text data  needs to grow

visibly

Hi Paul,

Is it possible to create flowable expandable text data using adobe acrobat

9? I'm trying to create some forms where the text is expanadle for certain

sections and can then be printed but...I'm struggling bigtime! Any help /

advice would be much appreicated.

Thanks,

Ken

Level 3

22/03/2010.

entitled to do so.

Former Community Member

Hi Paul.  I'm trying to do the same thing.  Could you please send me a sample file or a link.  Much appreciated.

Former Community Member

Hi Ken.  Thank you so much.  That has helped me incredibly.  I'm so impressed with the help to be found on the forums. You are all so generous with your time and knowledge.  Again, thank you.

Former Community Member

I'm glad its helped! Everyone I have spoke to has been helpful to me so I thoguht I'd return the favour. I know when I was trying to figure out expanadable text I found it quite frustrating and I coudlnt believe the answer was so simple when i found out how to do it!!

Good luck with the form!

Ken