Expand my Community achievements bar.

Extra page gets inserted at top of form

Former Community Member
At some point while designing a new form--often when the page is fairly full with form fields--any attempt to move or resize an item on the form page will result in the creation of an extra, blank form at the top of the file. This new page cannot be deleted via the lefthand navigator or the menu command. The only way around it I've found is to copy all the items that I do want into a fresh new file. This occurs even when I have set the maximum number of pages to 1.

Does anyone know how to prevent this very annoying behavior? Thanks very much!
5 Replies

Former Community Member
I tried to replicate the problem that you have. It looks like you are trying to move your form fields outside of the form body page. The outside of your page appear to be gray in color. I was able to re-produce this by selecting form fields and move them by using the arrow keys on the keyboard. However, I can't move them outside using the mouse to drag them out of the page.

So I guess to avoid this problem, keep your form fields within the form body page.

Former Community Member
Thanks for the reply, Jimmy.

I recognize there's a page boundary there, and I do not place fields outside of the page's physical boundary. Not even static text boxes run over any of the page borders.

Rather, if the form is dense with content, as our forms typically are, eventually any attempt to resize any item-even a tiny checkbox located squarely in the middle of the document--will create a new page.

The new extra, unwanted page cannot be deleted, either.

My only work-around is to routinely copy and paste all the fields into a new blank page. That works for a while, but eventually the bug will pop back up. This creates a mess of files and is a real frustration.

Kristina

Former Community Member
Kristina,

I'm not sure I encountered the same problem in Designer 6.0 or not, but check your XML source... specifically the height of the page... In designer 6.0 I occasionally had a similar thing happen and it was some weird bug that the height of the page suddenly changed to metric and was a very high value. I got around it by manually retyping the vertical size in the XML source.

Hope that helps!

Former Community Member
This problem cropped up in our application too. We fixed it using Kristina's paste-everything-into-fresh-document method, but only after a lot of frustration.

The new document menu also does not provide any obvious way to make a custom size. We were only able to create a custom size on this rush project by opening a pre-sized pdf that we created in Illustrator.

Former Community Member
I had this same problem and Adobe helped me out with it. What is happening is one or more of the fields added to the form is causing the master page boundaries to change, creating an extra page at the top of the document.

What I have done to fix this from happening on my forms, is move everything in 1/8 of an inch. This will allow the form to be in the page allowances. I will then move all the items back, but I don't move them all at one time again. I move them individually. This is time consuming, but once you figure this little system out, it saves you time and frustration levels.

The fields that I have noticed cause these problems are the ones that go across the whole page width.

Good luck!