Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Emailing a fillable form in PDF format

Former Community Member
Hi,

I need to create a PDF fillable form that will send a filled pdf

version to an email on submit.

The ones we have tried so far send an xml version of the form instead

of the filled pdf version.

Also, is it possible to leave the email recipient empty to allow the

form to be sent to different people each time it's filled?

I am using Adobe Acrobat Professional CS3.

Thank you in advance,

FayeC
28 Replies

Former Community Member
To seth, gaurav, and others interested in emailing the user-completed PDF to a specific email address, check out my post on the Acrobat User Forums (look under "Formfingers"):

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=12430

Hope this helps!

Former Community Member
Thank you Laura!! That worked great for me!!

Level 1
Laura's fix works for me in LiveCycle Designer 8 (why isn't that version on the Forums list?). You do need to do a step that isn't in the outline:

In Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.0:
Click on your email submit button. Click on the XML Source tab (if you can't see it, click on View-->XML. You will see this line of code:

Change the "xml" to "pdf".

***Then click on the Design View tab and you'll get an XML save warning window asking if you want to commit your XML edits. Click yes. If you try publish to repository before that, your change isn't exported.

Former Community Member
The answer to my dilemna may be somewhere in the posts I've read; however, so far I have not had luck finding it! PLEASE HELP - Prior to receiving an upgrade to my Adobe Professional 8, I was able to create a form from a WORD or PDF document, "Save As," send the form to a user. The user could then complete the form online, and "Save As," and all the filled in content would remain in the document. Since the upgrade, I have not been able to figure out how to make this happen. The document will work for me; however, the users can fill in the form, but it will not let them save it after it is complete. A good portion of our teams work relies on us being able to provide these types of documents for our customers. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?! or WHY CAN'T I GET THIS TO WORK?!

I am very frustrated, and the Help function in Adobe is not helping!

Thanks...PJ BRAY

Former Community Member
Yes, out of all the suggestions this was the only one that worked for me. I'm still having a problem, however. Even though I've entered (4) email addresses in the design (email submit button object) when I attempt to distribute the forms it says that the return "email address is invalid).

It will only allow me to list (1) email address to return the forms too.

I was so excited when I found the "distibute" forms but once again I'm hung up.

HELP!!!!!!!

Former Community Member
PJ Bray - Your saving (or lack thereof) problem sounds like you haven't enabled user rights for your form. This must be done for EACH AND EVERY form you create or modify. Open the form through Professional 8 (NOT Designer) and click the "Advanced" tab above. Scroll down to "Enable User Rights in Adobe Reader." This will then prompt you to save this "enabled" version. ONLY until a form has been enabled, will it allow you to save the form content. Give that a try and see if it helps...

Former Community Member
To Gretchen Payne - THANK YOU!! Your solution is exactly what I needed! You have helped me make our clients very happy, which makes me so happy I could shout! :) PJBray