Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dynamic Forms reverting to Static on Saving

Level 10
Hi,

I have set up several forms as Dynamic, however when I save them while working, Designer saves them as Static. I keep having to remember to do a "File / Save As" to force the Dynamic format. I have looked through the help file and I have set the default to Dynamic.

Is there a way of forcing Designer to maintain the Dynamic format on each save?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks, Niall
6 Replies

Former Community Member
I'm not sure how to help, as I've never seen nor heard of it doing anything like this. Normally once you save as a dynamic PDF it always saves as a dynamic PDF unless you do a save as and change that. What makes you think it's reverting to static?

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Level 10
I do not know. A brief summary:

1 Generate file as Dynamic;

2 Save while doing work;

3 If I open it afterwards in Acrobat, it behaves as a static form;

4 This is confirmed when I do a "File / Save As" within Designer, as it has reverted to Static;

5 It means that every time I am finished and wish to test the file in Acrobat, I have to remember to save it as Dynamic (and certainly before I send it out to the Client).

I am having a lot of crashes with Designer (up to 15 a day) (although today has been much better - only once!!!).

I am using Designer (7, 0, 041125, 0). I am currently trying to purchase an upgrade to Version 7.1 to see if that helps.

While I am new to Designer, I am reasonably computer literate and cannot find why Designer is behaving this way.

Thanks, Niall

Level 10
Sorry about this Chris,

But another point is that I have applied PDF security (password protected) to the file, restricting users to "Filling in Form and Signing".

Each time I open the file (it asks for the password) and then when I save it for the first time, it asks for the password to be confirmed.

Would this affect the Dynamic.

Niall

Former Community Member
It shouldn't make any differences, and didn't when I tried it here.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
When you say "Generate file as Dynamic" are you referring to the Form Properties - Default - XDP Preview Format? If so, this doesn't mean your form template is being saved as a dynmaic PDF when you save the template. If you do a File - Save As and select the Dynamic PDF type at the outset, it should never revert back to a Static PDF type (at least not in my experience).

Level 10
Thanks Chris & S,

When I said "generate", I mean that I started out with a Dynamic file from scratch and have always sought to maintain it as a Dynamic file. The Preview is set to "Interactive Form" in the defaults.

Designer is still behaving this way (as of this afternoon).

I am ordering version 7.1 to see if that helps.

Thanks, Niall