Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Datasets and collecting from dynamic forms

Former Community Member
I have created a dynamic form in LC8.0. Distributed it to our server via Acrobat Pro 8.o. The users have Reader 8.0. There are two subforms on the page, both of which are tables that can be expanded using an addInstance button.

Everything works well with single row entries - I receive the returned data in a mailbox, open up the file which then populates a dataset with the information from both tables. This can then be exported to an Excel spreadsheet.

However, when the addinstance button is used by the user and an additional row of data is added to either of the tables, the following message box error appears when I try to add that data to the dataset:

"...the form fields do not match the fields in the dataset"; followed by

"Failed to add the returned form to the dataset file. Error code = 11".

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm not a programmer, so please provide as much information as you can.

Any help appreciated. Many thanks.
5 Replies

Former Community Member
I am having the same issue, I have a repeating subform that is instance-added with a button. I can collect data from this form only when a single instance appears on the returned form, anything greater than 1 and I get an error code 11.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Former Community Member
Hi Jerry

I think I managed to solve this one - though not sure I remember quite how I did it. I think it was by ensuring that only those items I wanted to export from the data set had their data bindings set to Normal. Absolutely everything else was set to None - so check that the subform that holds your addInstance button is also set to None.

In opening the returned form a message box may appear stating:

"Fields in the 'formname' do not exactly match the fields in the template in the data set. Do you really want to add the form to the data set?".

When you've added it you will notice an additional column to the far left of the data view panel of the data set with the header "Has Different Fields". Depending on whether the data submitted had one or more instances added will determine whether the column has a Yes or a No in it. If there were multiple entries in that particular form, you will only see the first one until you've exported the data to your other application. The "Yes" or "No" isn't exported.

Good luck

Former Community Member
Hi D.

I'm not having as much success. The data binding (None or Normal) in the subform containing the addInstance button doesn't seem to make any difference. If I sent you a bare-bones design could you possibly look at it and perhaps point out what I'm missing?? My email is ggranath56@yahoo.com

Best regards.

Former Community Member
Jerry

I'll send you a copy of the form I've been using. Perhaps between us we can work it out. Just distribute the form in the usual way and set up the data set file before testing.

Regards

Dave

Former Community Member
My difficulty collecting data from a repeating subform seems to be related to Acrobat Professional v8.0 - once I updated to v8.1 everything worked without a hitch as dbuchanan described. Thanks for helping me with my issue.