Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Critical performance issues

Former Community Member
Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.1 is having serious performance issues when dealing with some forms. These are fairly simple, one-page forms, around 215KiB. I am running on a Pentium D 2.8GHz with 1GiB of RAM. When trying to open the forms, LiveCycle eats up a whole CPU core and several hundred MiB of memory, and it takes on the order of 10 minutes to open. Copying a single form field and pasting it is an hour-long operation. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it had no effect. The computer is clean of viruses/spyware and is as up-to-date as I can get it. Deleting and recreating the forms is an absolute last-resort option, and at that point not using PDF at all is under consideration, so I would like to recover them if possible. The forms work fine under Adobe Reader, no performance issues. Any ideas?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
David,

I'd like to see the form that is causing this problem. Can you send it to des_bugs@adobe.com?

Jeff

Former Community Member
I'll have to check to find out whether that's allowed.

Another form started doing this. Working fine, then paste one more form field and Designer goes to hell. I killed it, then go back and try to view the XML source of the form, Designer took a while to do so. I notice:

repeat previous line for several pages

A line being repeated several hundred times sets off my brokenness detector; any ideas?

Former Community Member
It appears to be going up exponentially. Some of the fields at the top of the file have 2 of those lines, then some with 4, then 8, then 16... I'm not sure whether it's safe to delete those lines entirely, I'll try going through and removing all but the first one for all fields and see what happens.

Former Community Member
So, LiveCycle's XML source editor is seriously messed up. Not only is it incredibly slow, it just stopped updating the display at one point. I would put the cursor somewhere, and hit Delete, and characters would disappear in a different part of the screen. I'm not impressed.

Former Community Member
Right now I'm opening the forms in LiveCycle, saving them to XDP format, running that through a Python script to clean out the ridiculous quantities of junk lines (one file went from 22MiB to 470KiB), and then re-saving them as PDF using LiveCycle. I don't know if this will fix the problem permanently or not. If you have an internal bug tracking database, I'd start an entry and file it under the highest priority you have, as it renders the program completely unusable.