Expand my Community achievements bar.

Creating a pdf form that with document assembly = allowed

Former Community Member
I am having trouble creating a print and mail pdf form that i can combine with other pdf documents. I have created a form in live cycle designer. when i try and combine it with other documents it says that the form i have created is protected and cannot be used for this command. I have not explicitly put any security on the form. I have simply created the form and saved it as a pdf. when i open the form with adobe acrobat pro and check the document properties it is always set to "document assembly = not allowed" how do i change this? i have experimented with the security settings and even using a password and allowing changes to the document but nothing seems to change the "document assembly = not allowed" i have adobe acrobat 7.0 professional with Live Cycle Designer. Please Help!
2 Replies

Former Community Member
Brian,

PDF Files made with Acrobat are based on postscript.

PDF Files made with LiveCycle Designer are based on XML and are essentially wrapped in a PDF. Once modified in LiveCycle Designer, you can no longer edit the file directly in Acrobat.

They do not share the same base file type and can not be combined into a single PDF using Acrobat version 7.

One of the new features of Acrobat version 8 - is called packages. Packages allow you to combine files of different types (acrobat and designer) as well as documents with different security settings (also not previously allowed). Each file in the package maintains it's independent identity and settings, wrapped in a new pdf file.

Recommended solution: Upgrade to Acrobat 8 Professional, get the new version of designer, and the ability to use packages.

Hope this helps.

Angie Okamoto

Former Community Member
We can do this in ASP.NET by having one blank page which is created in Acrobat Professional and other files which were created in Life Cycle Designer