Expand my Community achievements bar.

Converting Livecycle form to insert into previous pdf form doc

Former Community Member
When I try to "Insert" a livecyle form into a pdf form doc I get the message that I cannot do this because of the XML in the LC form, and to instead attach it. How can I convert the LC form so that I can insert the form into the pdf form doc? I need to do this in order to have the data entered into the fields in the form created with LC automatically update the fields (with the same names) in the pages in the preexisting pdf form doc.
11 Replies

Level 7
Two completely different animals. LiveCycle Designer is an XML, eXtended Markup Language, document with minimal additional code to open as a PDF document but it is not a true PDF file, as a result one can not combine the 2 PDFs. This is one of the big reasons one must determine the requirements of forms being designed and which program will support the requirements best before creating the forms. One could print the LiveCycle Designer form to the Acrobat PDF printer and then recreate the form fields in Acrobat using the form tool. Then the PDFs could be combined.

Former Community Member
I have been searching based on the same issue. So essentially, Adobe provides in their software suite a page editor that is incompatible with... Adobe. How is that a good idea? Someone who wants to make a custom writeable form that could be integrated into a larger PDF document is basically up the creek? Who could imagine people would need to do such a thing... ugh.

Level 7
Acrobat 7 and 8 still support the original AcroForms and provide the "Forms" tool bar with all the Acrobat form fields which will create a PDF form in PDF file format. It appears Adobe has considered this situation and has provided a solution.

Now where is the problem?

Former Community Member
The problem arises when you try and use the Adobe editor. It provides hardly any useful functionality, especially if you need to add graphical elements and writeable forms that someone other than you can use. I appreciate the reply, but it still seems that they have farmed off a truly useful and agile editing function on a program that is not really compatible with their core platform. Just wish they would either fix the compatibility problem with Livecycle or abandon it and write a better function in Adobe itself.

Level 7
Acrobat never represented itself as an authoring program, although with use of the "Text" tool and button form tool, I can make a PDF form from scratch, but I find InDesign or MS Word, MS Excel much easier for the layout and then Acrobat to add the form fields.

Adobe acquired JetForms to get the ability to support XML forms. Even though many know little about the eXtended Markup Language, it appears to be a wave of the future and far less limiting than the Acro Forms platform. The XML format is now used by Microsoft Office 2007.

Former Community Member
Indeed. Thank you for the background. I understand that Adobe has not represented themselves as an authoring program any more than, say, General Motors represents themselves as a radio manufacturer; but you still want and expect your car stereo to work. I generally really appreciate the software, and it was as much a reaction of surprise as anything at the problem mentioned above. Certainly something that might be addressed in future versions anyhow.

Thanks again.

Level 7
You have to chose the right tool to do you job. Obviously you chose the wrong tool.

GM offers XM Radios, but they do not make them, they just label them as coming from ACDelco.

Former Community Member
Yeah, well I actually use the tools I am given, but thanks anyway. They might still look into making an improvement on the issue in the next edition in one form or another, or perhaps not, if their fan base is sufficiently satisfied with what's presented.

When the installed XM radios don't work; do people call AC Delco? No. They go back to the vehicle manufacturer. Besides, if GM bought out AC Delco, like Adobe did with JetForms, then I would be less likely to give them a pass on the performance of their product. But that's me.

Level 7
You are aware that you can replace pages in a PDF document with the PDF pages from a LiveCycle Designer Form saved as a PDF?

You lose the XML form fields but you do get the form layout and graphics. Now you can use the "Forms" tool bar of Acrobat 6, 7, or 8 to add the necessary fields.

Former Community Member
Oh well gee thanks for the tip. Makes merging two forms, each with hundreds of fields, one created in Acrobat and one created in LiveCycle Designer a snap *eyeroll*

For the people who say "you have to choose the right tool for the job"... do you actually live in the real world? Is it inconceivable that in a business environment, this task would come up? Or are the latest batch of Adobe PDF products even meant for business use?

If the answer to merging two PDF documents is "you have to recreate the document", then I think any sane person can see that there is a huge problem here.

Level 7
The problem is user error, not knowing ones craft. There are far to many amateurs trying to design and program computer applications.

This is like a user using Excel as a word processor. It can be done but it is not easy.

There are many big differences between Acrobat forms and LiveCycle Desinger. For example, Acrobat forms supports templates that can add whole form pages either as new pages or overlays on existing pages. This feature is not available to LiveCycle Desinger.