Expand my Community achievements bar.

Configuration Manager wizard error: JBoss deployment: localhost:8080

Former Community Member
The Configuration Manager wizard for JBoss EAR deployment gets to about 70% and then starts to test URLs (for who knows what).

It seems to hang when testing http://localhost:8080

Looking at the trace that's generated in the command window running behind the wizard app, it seems to be getting a 'connection refused' response when trying this URL.

Any ideas why? And any idea why the Config Manager wizard just seems to keep trying this URL with no interactive error or info message to the user?

This really isn't working for me...and I've been battling with it for hours... HELP.
9 Replies

Level 10
I've seen it hanging at 70% when it was trying to restart JBoss because of the account under which JBoss for LiveCycle service was running under. I switched it to use the local account and it worked.

Can you see if it's trying to start jboss at that point?

Jasmin

Former Community Member
I can see it restarting JBoss (successfully) just prior to that 70%point. It's when it thinks JBoss is up and running that it then tests for a response from it - I've since realised that http://localhost:8080 is actually supposed to be the default page of the JBoss server website. In fact, I briefly saw this page come up in my browser when I tried manually navigating to it.

However, I've only seen it that one time - all other attempts to view it just seem to hang.

Anyway, that's straying off the point a little - back to the config manager issue...at the 70% point it's hanging, if I look in services.msc I can see the JBoss service running ok. If I try to manually stop it from there, it doesn't stop successfully.

services.msc also reports "Local System" for the account the JBoss service is running under, so I don't see what I can change there.

I'm baffled.

I wish this install/config stuff just worked out-of-the-box. I just want to be able to evalute the actual functionality, without having to spend hours getting there.

Level 10
The fact that the service says running doesn't mean anything. It just means it started properly.

Please look in the jboss server.log file located under c:\adobe\jboss\server\log and see if there are errors in the log file.

Let me know,

Jasmin

Former Community Member
"The fact that the service says running doesn't mean anything."

How useful is that? Why does it start at all if something fundamental's gone wrong?

Now that I've found that log file you mention, I saw an error in there, and corrected it. Now it works.

Thank goodness I stumbled across adobeforums.com otherwise I'd still be stuck here scratching my head....

Level 10
"How useful is that? Why does it start at all if something fundamental's gone wrong? "

This is because JBoss is started with a batch file an not an exe. The service panel has no way of knowing when the batch file has completed.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
I can see JBoss being started via a net start command issued by the Configuration Manager, if that's what you mean by a batch file.

My question is, why after the Config Manager issues a net start in this manner does the JBoss service actually go ahead and start, and show 'started' in the service panel (by which I assume you mean the thing you see when you type 'services.msc' into the windows start|run menu), when actually something fundamental is wrong with it and it doesn't respond to requests to http://localhost:8080 ?

The reason my JBoss service wasn't responding turned out to be an inability to use a specific port number. This was reported in the log file you mentioned. But the JBoss service went ahead and started anyway - so it was up and running as a process despite being completely useless due to the inability to use the specified port and therefore unable to respond to requests.

So why did it start at all, instead of failing to start and reporting this either in the log file or (even more usefully) in the Windows Event Log?

Former Community Member
JBoss is not a Windows application capable of integrating as a Windows service in the manner you're talking about. It's a Java application that runs inside a JVM.

In order to run it as a service, a wrapper is used that is provided by JBossService.exe. All this does is take configuration values from the registry and start the JBoss JVM using those config values. As far as the services panel knows, all it is doing is running the service wrapper, as soon as the wrapper completes execution (which will happen as soon as it triggers JBoss to begin starting) it will show as started in the services console.

In order to be sure everything is fine with JBoss you have to monitor that log file.

Chris Trubiani

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Is that actually the only thing the JBossService.exe does?

Former Community Member
Hi Pete,

yes that is basically all that the service does. it is a bridge between the service management in Windows and the Java main process of JBoss.

What LCM is actually doing likely can do with a bit more explanation. To deploy an EAR into JBoss what one does if copy the EAR into the deploy directory, in this case the 'all' configuration. LCM constructs the EAR and then copies it to the required deploy directory. In other application servers we are able to do this with an API and thus we get a response when it is actually deployed. But on JBoss we cannot get this so what we need to do is wait for a time and then ping the application we are deploying. If the application responds then deployment is complete, if it does not then we try again. If after several retries we get no response then we issue a failure notice.

Hopefully this helps.

Chris de Groot

Senior Product Manager