Expand my Community achievements bar.

Checkboxes - Require at least one is checked

Former Community Member
I have 4 checkboxes where the user can select any, several or all of them, but I want to require that at least one is checked. Is this posible?

They are named as follows:

Checkbox 1: Lateral

Checkbox 2: Main

Checkbox 3: Inlet

Checkbox 4: Other
4 Replies

Former Community Member
Kevin,

Given a form with the root 'form1', a subform called 'subform1', and four checkboxes called 'lateral', 'main', 'inlet', and 'other', you could run a script on the change event of each checkbox to compare the current checkbox with all the others. For example,

form1.subform1.lateral::change - (JavaScript, client)

if (form1.subform1.lateral.rawValue == "0") {

if (form1.subform1.main.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.inlet.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.other.rawValue == "0") {

// xfa.host.messageBox("Please select a minimum of one option.","Options",1);

form1.subform1.other.rawValue = "1";

}

}

form1.subform1.main::change - (JavaScript, client)

if (form1.subform1.main.rawValue == "0") {

if (form1.subform1.lateral.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.inlet.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.other.rawValue == "0") {

}

}

form1.subform1.inlet::change - (JavaScript, client)

if (form1.subform1.inlet.rawValue == "0") {

if (form1.subform1.lateral.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.main.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.other.rawValue == "0") {

}

}

form1.subform1.other::change - (JavaScript, client)

if (form1.subform1.other.rawValue == "0") {

if (form1.subform1.lateral.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.main.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.inlet.rawValue == "0") {

}

}

This will force 'other' to be selected. Of course, if a user doesn't click any checkbox than you will have to put additional logic to validate prior to printing, saving, submitting, or whatever action signifies form fill completion.

Steve

Former Community Member
I'd ask Paul Guerette for one of his fake e-mail button forms.

There in the click event, of the fake-mail-button, java script, put the following:

if (form1.subform1.lateral.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.other.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.main.rawValue == "0" && form1.subform1.inlet.rawValue == "0")

{xfa.host.messageBox("Please select at least one checkbox.");}

The user shouldn't be able to send it, without less than one checkbox activated. Of course you can set ur errormessage as you please and add more scripts f.ex. to make the boarders of the checkboxes red etc..

Former Community Member
Both of the mentioned methods will work but there is a better way. One of my colleages writes a blog about XFA and forms. Here is the URL:

http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed

This is an excellent blog and deals with advanced topics (sometimes too advanced). Anyways in the topic of validations he wrote one about exclusion groups ...I suggest that you read that one ....he has a sample in there that does exactly what you are asking.

Former Community Member
Thanks everyone for the input and assistance. I ended up using Lisa's method and added a xfa.event.cancelAction.

It seems to work well.

if (topmostSubform.Page1.Lateral.rawValue == "0" && topmostSubform.Page1.Main.rawValue == "0" && topmostSubform.Page1.DrainInlet.rawValue == "0" && topmostSubform.Page1.Other.rawValue == "0")

{xfa.host.messageBox("Please select at least one checkbox for Type."); xfa.event.cancelAction = 1;}