Expand my Community achievements bar.

Cannot open a PDF form in Adobe Reader 7

Former Community Member
Hello

I have developed a form in Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8. The form has java script embedded in it to do validations. The form has Usage Rights enabled and works well versions 8 and 9. However, when I open the form in Adobe Reader 7, I am getting an error message asking me to download a higher version. When I view the form properties in LiveCycle Designer for this form, I have the following settings:

XDP Preview form: Acrobat 7 (static PDF form) under defaults tab.

Under compatibility tab, I have the following settings:

Form Type: Acrobat 8 (static PDF form)

Text Formatting: Version 7

Event model: Version 7.

Much appreciate if someone could tell me how to make this form compatible with Adobe Reader 7.
4 Replies

Level 10
Under the Default tab try setting the Target Version to 7.

Former Community Member
thanks Jono But I cannot see any option to set Target Version.

the options I have are XDP Preview format and PDF Render Format which are set to Acrobat 7 static PDF form.

I have set a permissions password on the form using Acrobat 8 and under Password security settings , I have set the compatibility as Acrobat 5.0 or later. However, When I look at the form properties by opening the same form in LiveCycle, the compatibility still shows Acrobat 8 static PDF form.

How do I get this form to be opened by users in Adobe 7?

Appreciate your quick response.

Level 10
Maybe you're running an earlier version from me (I'm using 8.2) and it's in a different spot, but there should be a setting for what version of Acrobat to run the form in.

In 8.2 it's on the Default tab in Form Properties.

Try searching help for "target version". Other than that I don't know what's going on.

Former Community Member
I just did a file "save as" and selected Acrobat 7 PDF as the type and it works now. However I got into another issue where I submit the form to a Java servlet that in turns writes the data to Oracle database. When I click submit using Reader 7, nothing is happening compared to Reader 9 where I get some kind of message from Servlet.