Expand my Community achievements bar.

Bug: Federal W4 form requires Japanese font pack

Level 2
Hi! I've been tasked with automating the new hire process and the client would like to include the Federal W4 form in with a collection of other forms required for their internal new hire paperwork. So I download the form from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf, opened it in LiveCycle Designer 7.1 (on Windows XP), then saved the resulting LiveCycle form as a PDF. Now any time I try to open the form in Acrobat Reader 7.0.8 it goes to the web and requires that the Japanese font pack be installed. If I don't install it the form behaves very strangely, such as form field text disappearing anytime to tab off of them.

Now if I reopen the the newly created W4 LiveCycle PDF in LiveCycle Designer and save it as an XPD file I can see that the font "Kozuka Mincho Pro-VI R" has been inserted into the document. I have confirmed that this font is not present in the original Federal W4 from. My question is why is this font being added and how can I get rid of it? This has to be a bug.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem?
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Yes, I had the same problem, same setup as you, pdfs freshly imported into Designer suddenly needed the Japanese support installed. Windows did this by itself after I clicked ok. Didn't check to see the name of the font, but I found doing a "save as" and choosing to embed fonts seemed to clear it up, as none of my users have reported any problems.

Level 2
With the help of Adobe I ended up discovering that the issue was due to the bullets used in the original Adobe Acrobat file. Designer falls back to the Japanese font for some strange reason. All I had to do was delete and re-create the bullets in the document and I was able to get rid of the issue...

In order to discover the problem you need to look closely at the import log that Designer produces. It will tell you what it had trouble converting and which font was substituted.

Former Community Member
If it's any help my original pdf was made from Word 2003 (pdf supplied by client), so presumably it was Word's bullet system that introduced the Japanese font.

Good tip on the import log, thanks.