Expand my Community achievements bar.

Attention: Experience League Community will undergo scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, August 20th between 10-11 PM PDT. During this time, the Community and its content will not be accessible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Adding variable information to Designer Objects

Former Community Member
Hey Everyone!

So for a script I'm writing, it would be really useful to have long and short names for each checkbox. I would love to be able to do is use the shortname for the caption, but store the longname somewhere accessible, but attached to the checkbox. for instance, if I could write some javascript that looks like this:

app.alert( checkBox.shortName ); // Prints the shortName of the checkBox

app.alert( checkBox.longName ) ; // Prints the longNAme of the checkBox

I've wrapped an individual checkbox in a subform which lets me add variables to the subform (and thus to the checkbox) but it's cumbersome to manipulate (for instance, i can't seem to select the checkbox and its subform into the library).

Does anyone have any advice for this seemingly simple task?? please?

thanks a bunch!

dave
1 Reply

Former Community Member
Easiest way is to open up Check Box.xfo in a text editor and add a new XML tag there, and then save the new xfo to the custom directory so it will show up in the custom object tab.<br /><br />You can find Check Box.xfo at /Documents and Settings/userName/Application Data/Adobe/Designer/en/object/standard.<br /><br />I've attached an example where I added a <longName> tag to the field, and changed the name to Check Box Long Name. You won't get support for this from the UI, but you can set/get the value via script. IE:<br /><br />CheckBox.longName = "whatever";<br /><br />app.alert(CheckBox.longName);<br /><br />Chris<br />Adobe Enterprise Developer Support