Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

"$id" vs. "meta:altId" when creating datasets

Level 2

Hello – When creating a dataSet via Postman API’s, I inadvertently used the “meta:altId” value, instead of “$id” value to reference back to the schema.

I attempted to make a PATCH request to update the schemaRef, but response is returning as forbidden. Does using the “meta:altId” cause any issues in the long run? The data ingestion process using that dataSet and schema appear to actually be working just fine, so this is just a concern of any long term affects. 

I do realize that I can delete the dataSet and re-create, but trying to avoid that if at all possible.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @DavidRoss91 

As per my understanding, since we always have a dataset based on a schema. I don't think it will be a challenge. Might well just be a UI querk which many might not have noticed just yet cause not a lot of folks go with altId. Also, any approach that works would work for long term as well. I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hey @DavidRoss91 

You can use either of the two: $id or meta:altId. Both are mentioned in the documentation and either can be used.

IMG_5528.png

Official link to the documentation: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/xdm/api/schemas.html

Level 2

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I did see that also in the documentation but I believe that was in the schema not dataset documents. 

Also, I did some testing in a development sandbox using the "$id" and also "meta:altId" and noticed that when using the "$id" value, the UI will show that the schema has a dataset linked to it. But, when you use the "meta:altId" it does not. That is what sparked this concern. I have attached a screen grab below. Now I will say, that when you click into the dataSet, it does show the schema being used. This is my only concern here.

DavidRoss91_0-1703220084340.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hey @DavidRoss91 

As per my understanding, since we always have a dataset based on a schema. I don't think it will be a challenge. Might well just be a UI querk which many might not have noticed just yet cause not a lot of folks go with altId. Also, any approach that works would work for long term as well. I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

Administrator

@DavidRoss91 Did you find the suggested solutions helpful? It would be great if you can  mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, share it with wider audience in the community.