Expand my Community achievements bar.

Profile qualification based on ECID and Email

Level 1

Hi,
Could someone help me on understanding the below:

I have a usecase where a person is opening a website through his laptop but doesn't log in to the website but gives his details(firstname,lastname,phone no.) and an ECID is generated for him on that website.
Now the same user logs in to the website using his email id on his mobile.
So the question is, will two profiles be generated for the same person ?
Also as I know two ECIDs will be generated for the same person, in the first scenario he didn't login(using his laptop) making him a prospect and in the second scenario he would become an authenticated user(using his mobile) and that would make another profile.
Please let me know if I'm correct with my understanding or otherwise.
Thanks in advance.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 5

Hi @Sushmita_2 ,

As per my understanding, yes, two separate ECIDs would be generated for this user as ECIDs are generated based on browser cookies. What you can achieve here is, if the user logs back in again using Laptop again, use the Email (i am assuming it is hashed) as Primary key to link up the historical sessions by identifying the ECID.

More on ECID - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/id-service/using/home

Best,
Isha

Level 6

Hi @Sushmita_2 

Based on the scenario you've mentioned there will be two ECIDs or two profiles.

however if you are capturing person details (during first visit when he made an unauthenticated using his laptop and provided his details) you can also capture the his email and mark as an identity, so if the user logs in using the same email from another device(mobile phone in this case) then identity service link both the email will link with each other and you will have a holistic view of the user.

Tagging - @jayakrishnaaparthasarathy 

Level 6

Hi @Sushmita_2 You're correct in assuming that two ECIDs will be generated in this scenario: one for the anonymous visit on the laptop and another for the authenticated visit on the mobile.

• When a user visits a website and provides details without logging in, an ECID is generated. This ECID is tied to the user's session on the laptop.
  • When the same user logs in to the website on a mobile device, a new ECID is generated for that session.

• Initially, two separate profiles may be created: one for the anonymous visitor (prospect) on the laptop and another for the authenticated user on the mobile device.
  • Each profile will have its own ECID

AEP uses an identity graph to link different identifiers (like ECIDs, email addresses, phone numbers) to a single profile.

If the system can match identifiers (e.g., phone number, email) provided in different contexts (anonymous vs. authenticated), it can unify the profiles. Since in your case user gives his details (firstname,lastname,phone no.), if the phone number or email provided on the laptop matches the email used to log in on the mobile, AEP can stitch these profiles together.

Level 2

if you want to avoid creating two profiles, you can consider to mark phoneno (given in laptop login) as identity, and while signing up you need to get the phoneno and mark it as an identity as well, then you can stitch them into a single profile.

in your example, in the first login (from laptop) if ECID is the only identity, then yes, there will be two profiles.

--ssj