Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to change the data type of an attribute where schema is enabled for profile and also have a dataset ? which we cannot delete

Level 2

How to change the data type of an attribute where schema is enabled for profile and also have a dataset ? which we cannot delete

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yeah, this is one of the things that I don't like about schemas that are Profile-enabled. I understand and appreciate the limitation, but the restriction is really irritating.

Let this serve as a reminder to have very detailed names for your fields/field groups, so that you can create new ones that have new meanings/contexts as-and-when required.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

 Hey @Snowwhite5378 

You would not be able to change the data type of an existing field in a schema enabled for profile and as you mentioned already has a dataset attached to it.

It is a breaking change and would not be allowed.

IMG_5582.png

You can read more here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/xdm/schema/composition.html?lang=en

Cheers,

Abhinav

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Yeah, this is one of the things that I don't like about schemas that are Profile-enabled. I understand and appreciate the limitation, but the restriction is really irritating.

Let this serve as a reminder to have very detailed names for your fields/field groups, so that you can create new ones that have new meanings/contexts as-and-when required.

Level 8

Just expanding upon this response. Creating a new field with the desired data type along with a full data load would be the way to go.

Community Advisor

This is a breaking change and not allowed for Schema that has data and profile enabled. 

Administrator

Did you find the suggested solutions helpful? It would be great if you can  mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, share it with wider audience in the community.