Expand my Community achievements bar.

Experience League LIVE: Post-session discussion - This is the way...to migrate Analytics to Web SDK

Employee

Use this thread to ask any questions related to the Experience League LIVE session titled, "This is the way...to migrate Analytics to Web SDK."

Experts are monitoring this thread to ensure your questions are answered. Thanks and we hope to hear from you!

36 Replies

Level 1

Question for you guys, Can we keep both AA & SDK extension and replace send beacon with direct call rule. Inside of the direct call rule we would that takes s object and format to the correct SDK format. There it will send off the proper SDK events.

I would like to do this so I can avoid some of the cleanup and it should allow for me to keep my S obj. This would be a hybrid approach to be able to have both and transition quickly to the SDK. Is something like this possible?

Thanks

Employee

Hey @josephlezcano ,

Yes, you can do that; you'd populate `data.__adobe.analytics` out of the `s` object.

As long as it's temporary.  

Level 1

Whats the negative side of that? why couldn't we keep it for longer?

Employee

I can think of two negative effects: performance hit and maintenance cost. A possible third would be missing out on additional innovations that we will be adding to the Update Variable and Send Event actions.

I understand that there is a migration cost, though. 

Level 1
​​I am currently using the script tag to implement adobe analytics in my UI app. Any documentation on if/how to switch to Web SDK?

Level 1

I wasn't able to watch the entire webinar, so it might have been covered already, but is there an example of what a web developer would code differently from how they tag events now with App Measurement vs if they are tagging only for Web SDK version? We are about to stat a new project, and would prefer to start that using the Web SDK only approach, but devs currently only know how the old s. version of the code should look like.

Level 1

Any feedback on an approach where all XDM mappings happen on the Edge using Data Prep? In the presentation there seems to be a concept of still having both XDM and Data objects included with the sendEvent call made client side, but I'm curious if there are any downsides to only including the Data object? 

For example, is it okay to use: 

dataObject = {
"__adobe": {"analytics": {"evar1": "some value"}},
"semanticData": {"dataPoint1": "some value"}
}

alloy("sendEvent", {
  "data": dataObject
});

I imagine that by doing it this way I can map data.semanticData.dataPoint1 to a custom XDM field in Data Prep (rather than working with an evar). Is there any downsides to this approach?

Employee

Hey @Itzmyusrnme ,

I cannot think of a downside to sending everything under `data` and mapping in Data Prep.

Thanks.

Level 3

Hi,

I'm using two actions to update the variable and then, with a third one, I'm sending the data.

It looks that the events from the two update variable actions are not merged in my case.

Any suggestions?

Thank You!

Employee

Hi @andreis65119307,

Are you doing something similar to the attached screenshot? It works on my side.

Can you provide more information? Is the Tags Property setting `run rule components in sequence` turned on?

Thanks

Level 3

Hi @joek81541110 

I'm updating the variable in two separate rules.

One rule updates the variable on product pages with the product data and one rule updates the variable on every page and sends the variable.

In the debugger I see the product data merged but the events are missing.

Yes, `run rule components in sequence` is turned on, Analytics Extension is using the above logic to construct the hit.

Thank You!

Employee

Hey @andreis65119307 ,

If I understand correctly, you expect the Variable's value to be cached across pages, which we currently don't support.

If you update the variable on the same page via 2 update variable actions and then send the event on that page, everything works correctly, right?

Thanks.

Level 3

Hey @joek81541110,

No, on the same page, I run two rules in sequence: the first one just updates the variable, and the second updates the same variable and sends the merged result of both updates.

The data sent has the data from both update actions except for the events. The events shown are just from the second variable update action.

I think there is an issue with the update action; it is not merging the events.

Employee

Hi andreis65119307,

Just to make sure I'm totally getting what is happening:

* You have two rules that run on the same page, and the order they are fired in is either controlled by the event triggering the rule or else the "order" field in the event. 

* You have a "variable" type data element and on the first rule you have selected to update the Analytics object inside of the data object by using the "Update Variable" action, setting some variables/events, but not using Send Event.

* On the second rule you set some variables/events like above, but you also have a Send Event action, referencing the Variable data element as the payload to send in.

* In those rules, are you using the drop-down fields to set the props/evars AND events? Or are you using custom code?

* When you trigger the rules, you DO see the props/eVars/other dimensions, but you DON'T see the events being triggered.

Is that all correct?

Thanks,

Doug

Level 3

Hi

I'll respond inline:

* You have two rules that run on the same page, and the order they are fired in is either controlled by the event triggering the rule or else the "order" field in the event. 
Yes

* You have a "variable" type data element and on the first rule you have selected to update the Analytics object inside of the data object by using the "Update Variable" action, setting some variables/events, but not using Send Event.
Yes

* On the second rule you set some variables/events like above, but you also have a Send Event action, referencing the Variable data element as the payload to send in.
Yes

* In those rules, are you using the drop-down fields to set the props/evars AND events? Or are you using custom code?
Drop-down fields

* When you trigger the rules, you DO see the props/eVars/other dimensions, but you DON'T see the events being triggered.
Yes, I see the props/eVars/other dimensions set by both Update Variable actions, from the rules, but the events only from the second one, with the Send Event action.

Level 2

Hi Team,

Amazing session and new information about using the Update variable event type under AEP web SDK Extension.

My question is on the Schema structure we have for Adobe Analytics. I am using "Adobe Analytics ExperienceEvent Template" Schema structure which looks like the below:

{
"_experience": {
"analytics":{
"customDimensions": {
"eVars": {
"eVar1": "Raven",
}
}
}
}
}

But in update variable, the structure we have is like below:

{
"__adobe":{
"analytics": {
"eVar1": "Raven",
}
}
}

Due to this mismatch, I am not able to see the eVar1 value mapped to Adobe Analytics. Is there any Adobe Analytics Schema that we can use to map Analytics variables directly?

Thanks

Level 3

Hi,

You don't need a schema for Analytics if the variable is set to generate an object as data.

Trace back your steps. Maybe in the send event, you used the data element in the XDM field instead of data.

Level 1

I am looking at more things than just this migration but was wondering why I wasn't seeing all the options I thought I should be seeing when going into Data Collection.