Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Wokflows in PUBLISH instance

Level 2

Can AEM workflow be used in the PUBLISH instance too by web site end users?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Its technically possible to use workflows in publish instance aswell but as @Opkar mentioned you need to check on those license part and also need to be very careful on the ACLs when you have this on the publish instance.

Rather, I would suggest to create a customize UI and use the workflow APIs to handle it programmatically.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10
Yes, they can be used in Publish instance as well. Example: Dam asset workflow, Can be used when end user uploads some image.      

Employee

Hi,

can you explain the use case? Are you talking about workflows starting in the background or are you talking about end users starting workflows or processing the steps in the workflow?

The workflow interface would not normally be available on the publish instance, as you would block it with Dispatcher. Publish instances would not normally expose any of the AEM UI's: workflow, tagging, sites, damadmin etc to the end users.

Regards,

Opkar

Level 2

I am thinking about a way to use the workflow for human tasks in the PUBLISH instance. I am thinking about a scenario where end users participate to some workflows / processes in a collaborative but managed way.

From your reply, I understand that I need to expose a custom UI for inbox and task related functionalities but, "apart that", I can use the workflow engine in the PUBLISH instance too: is that right?  

Employee

It is not a use case I have seen before, or one that is suggested in adobe documentation.

Another point to consider, if these users are using the authoring interfaces on the publish instance, then does that make them content authors and so extra user licences are required? I think you would need to clarify this with your adobe sales team.

Regards,

Opkar

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Its technically possible to use workflows in publish instance aswell but as @Opkar mentioned you need to check on those license part and also need to be very careful on the ACLs when you have this on the publish instance.

Rather, I would suggest to create a customize UI and use the workflow APIs to handle it programmatically.