Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Why initiator can interact with Workflow when it is assigned to somebody else?

Level 2

Hi All,

i have a question related to workflows. i have created a workflow that is initiated by User A. After initiation it goes to a user B. Then there is  an OR Split where user B can decide to accept or reject.

Now the strange thing is that: user A after initiating the workflow, sees the workflow step in his AEM inbox. User B also has the same item in his AEM inobx and both can perform next step (select one step out of the 2 inside OR split) on the workflow. Is there something that i am doing wrong?

We are using AEM 6.3.

Thanks .

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

That is what happened - in your 1st step - you did not assign a specific user - like I did, I assigned User A and User B cannot see it.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 2

just to add in this, i see the notification about the workflow in AEM inbox for both user A and User B. But if i open the page in classic UI, the sidekick has the correct information under 'Workflows' tab. the message says, that the page is subjected to workflow and there is no option to proceed. But only User B can perform the next step in the page in classic UI.

Just to reiterate the findings,

- In Touch UI, notification about the workflow present in AEM inbox of both users and both can interact with the workflow. Ideally User B should perform the next step

- In Classic UI, notification is present in AEM inbox of both users and both users can select the next step from AEM inbox. But only User B can interact with the workflow from side kick when page is opened in classic UI. Ideally user B should be able to select the next step from AEM inbox or the sidekick.

Anybody else experiencing this? Any idea whats going wrong here?

Employee

Can you post the screenshot of the workflow model?

Level 2

sample-workflow.png

Hi, please check the above workflow. First step is assigned to a user 'k' and the workflow is initiated by user 'a'.

Level 10

Does it show up in User K inbox?

Level 2

Hi Scott,

Yes, User K and User A both can see the notifications in their respective AEM inboxes and both can choose the next step.

But according to workflow only user K should be able to work on the workflow to choose the next step and not user A.

Level 10

I want to attempt to reduplicate your model and experience. Can you post back and tell me exactly which workflow steps you did and show the dialog boxes too so i can setup this model.

Level 10

OK - i did this -- i created a model similar to yours. Two user UserA and User B - both belong to workflow user group.

User A has the 1st step assigned to them. As User B - i kicked off the workflow.

UserA.png

User B inbox view here -- http://localhost:4502/inbox :

UserB.png

So no message that lets me interact with the workflow.

In User A - i see here -- http://localhost:4502/inbox :

UaerAA.png

Now i can see the Workflow properly assigned to User A - not User B.

So in your 1st step - make sure it clearly has User A --

UserAAA.png

Level 2

Scott, i can share the zip file (package) of the workflow i created. Can you please let me know how can i share that? i doubt if i can attach it here. But to provide more details, i can mention the dialog values below:

Step 1: Add participant chooser step

Tab 1

step1-tab1.png

Tab 2

step1-tab2.png

- Step 2: Add OR Split

- Step 3: Add Process step in left hand side

Tab 1:

OR split- left section-tab1.png

Tab 2:

OR split- left-section-tab2.png

Step 4: Add Initiator participant chooser step on right hand side of OR Split:

Tab 1:

OR split- right-section-tab1.png

I hope this helps. Thanks

Level 10

Also - only user A has access from sidekick

UserAAAAA.png

Correct answer by
Level 10

That is what happened - in your 1st step - you did not assign a specific user - like I did, I assigned User A and User B cannot see it.

Level 2

i see.. that was a silly mistake. Actually we migrated the workflow from AEM 6.0 to AEM 6.3 and seems like we had to do some authoring again to select the appropriate user/group. it looks fine after that.  But we have observed that the admin or user who is part of administrators group are getting all the notifications in the inbox. Seems ok but we did not notice this thing in 6.0 version. 

Thanks for the help here though.

Level 10

I am glad you got it solved - i sent you a follow up email. Thanks!