Expand my Community achievements bar.

What OpenOffice / LibreOffice version is supported/recommended for AEM PDF Generator Service?

Level 2

An AEM 6.5 Assets environment I am working with presently uses the PDF Generator service to convert PowerPoint files (pptx) from PPTX -> PDF for downloads as well as text extraction & indexing.   It is currently running into various performance problems, and the version of soffice.bin that it's running is potentially to blame as it is currently running LibreOffice 4.3.2 on the server, a version that was release in the spring of 2015. 

However, in Adobe docs (https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/experience-manager-65/deploying/introduction/technical-requir...), the "requirements" for AEM Forms PDF Generator note OpenOffice 4.1.2, a version that also came out in Spring 2015. 

The LibreOffice team has made a slew of performance improvements to LibreOffice in the intervening 5+ years, so my question is: does Adobe support a current version of LibreOffice?  If not, what version does it support? 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Employee
PDF Generator supports only English, French, German, and Japanese versions of the supported operating systems and applications.
In addition:
  • PDF Generator requires 32-bit version of Acrobat 2017 classic track version 17.011.30078 or later to perform the conversion.
  • PDF Generator supports only the 32-bit Retail version of Microsoft Office Professional Plus and other software required for conversion.
  • PDF Generator does not support Microsoft Office 365.
  • PDF Generator conversions for OpenOffice are supported only on Windows and Linux.
  • The OCR PDF, Optimize PDF, and Export PDF features are supported only on Windows.
  • A version of Acrobat is bundled with AEM Forms to enable PDF Generator functionality. The bundled version should only be accessed programmatically only with AEM Forms, during the term of the AEM Forms license, for use with AEM Forms PDF Generator. For more information, refer to AEM Forms product description as per your deployment ( On-Premise or Managed Services )”
  • PDF Generator service does not support Microsoft Windows 10.

Capture.JPG

Check https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/experience-manager-65/forms/install-aem-forms/jee-installatio... for more details.

Level 2
Thanks for this - but this quotes the same documentation as above, which I'm suspecting is out of date. OpenOffice 4.1.2 came out over 5 years ago, and there have been multiple releases of LibreOffice since then which provide speed & stability enhancements. I'm just trying to find out if there are any reasons why these would not be supported in AEM Forms.