Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

What is different between Running and Stale Status

Level 2

Hi There,

I'm just wandering that what is between Running and Stale Status. First time I was thinking Stale is the status show on the workflow Instance tab, Only when some task is assigned to someone. But I'm not sure about it.  

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

The stale status is indicative of an error state. Essentially it means that the workflow instance is not going to be able to continue to run. One common reason for the stale state is that the payload of the workflow has been deleted or moved. Depending on the version you are running it may also indicate that the Sling events or jobs tied to the workflow instance no longer exist. 

Generally if the workflow instance has gone stale it means that the it's dead and you can't restart it so you need to determine if you need to restart the workflow for its payload because it hasn't finished, or just purge it because it's not relevant anymore. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 8

The stale status is indicative of an error state. Essentially it means that the workflow instance is not going to be able to continue to run. One common reason for the stale state is that the payload of the workflow has been deleted or moved. Depending on the version you are running it may also indicate that the Sling events or jobs tied to the workflow instance no longer exist. 

Generally if the workflow instance has gone stale it means that the it's dead and you can't restart it so you need to determine if you need to restart the workflow for its payload because it hasn't finished, or just purge it because it's not relevant anymore. 

Level 10

A workflow can have one of the following status:

• RUNNING: the workflow instance is running.
  • COMPLETED: the workflow instance has been successfully ended.
  • SUSPENDED: the workflow instance has been suspended.
  • ABORTED: the workflow instance has been terminated.
  • STALE: no workitem is currently attached to the workflow instance.

Refer [1] to get clear details about workflow

[1] http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-3/administering/working_with_workflows.html

Administrator

Hi Kim Junsung

Running Status :- The workflow instance is running.

Stale Status :- Progression of the workflow instance requires that a background job executes, however the job cannot be found in the system. This situation can occur when an error occurs when executing the workflow.

Please find document for the same:- https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/administer/operations/workflows/wf-admin.html

And to to Monitor Workflow via JMX please have a look at :- https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/workflow-monitor-via-jmx.html

I hope this would help you.

Thanks and Regards

Kautuk Sahni

Kautuk Sahni