Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Using VLT to import a SysView XML document

Former Community Member

Using the VLT import command:
    import -v|-s|--sysview <uri> <local-path> <jcr-path>
e.g.:
    vlt --log-level ERROR import -v --sysview <uri> sysview.xml /content/import-test/sysview
I can import a SysView doc and mount the nodes it contains at the correct point.

But if I re-run the import I just get the error:

[ERROR] import: javax.jcr.ItemExistsException: /content/import-test/sysview/<subnode_name>

which surprises me.

- Will the SysView import only import into empty structures?
- Is there any way of overwriting with the SysView?

And, whilst on the subject of SysView
- Why doesn't VLT have a SysView export function?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: everyone's gone very quiet: is there no solution?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Sorry to say this, but this is NOT a solution to the problem.

The task is not just to stick some arbitrary file into CQ, but to import and integrate a node structure using sysview serialized XML via VLT (the method proposed in the Adobe docs.).

I created a workaround for the initial problem by posting a cURL delete command of the root node before I installed the structure. Inelegant, but it works, which is the main thing. It is not a solution though.

Perhaps we can just accept a 'that's how it is' answer: VLT import will not delete the root node of an existing structure.

On the further point of sysview export, I used cURL to post to a customized service that downloads the serialization. Again, not elegant, but it works.

Thanks for your efforts

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Quick supplementary question on the same subject:

Can the .content.xml files in the vault also be in system view format?

This doesn't work for me.

Employee

Hi,

Sorry I missed this thread the first go-around. The import command in vlt uses the Workspace.import() method defined in the JCR specification. As you can see here: http://www.day.com/maven/jsr170/javadocs/jcr-2.0/javax/jcr/Workspace.html#importXML(java.lang.String, java.io.InputStream, int) the behavior when the path already exists is to throw an exception.

I don't know why SysView export isn't available; probably because no one has ever asked for it smiley. Would suggest you create a JIRA issue here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCRVLT

Regards,

Justin

Level 10

Old thread - however to import files into AEM (it does not matter the type JS,CSS, XML), you can write a custom app/service. See this community article: 
http://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/post_files.html

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Sorry to say this, but this is NOT a solution to the problem.

The task is not just to stick some arbitrary file into CQ, but to import and integrate a node structure using sysview serialized XML via VLT (the method proposed in the Adobe docs.).

I created a workaround for the initial problem by posting a cURL delete command of the root node before I installed the structure. Inelegant, but it works, which is the main thing. It is not a solution though.

Perhaps we can just accept a 'that's how it is' answer: VLT import will not delete the root node of an existing structure.

On the further point of sysview export, I used cURL to post to a customized service that downloads the serialization. Again, not elegant, but it works.

Thanks for your efforts

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----