Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Using 'Hide this page from Search Engines'

Level 1

Hello,

If I have existing pages I know longer want to be accessible by google I have a few options.

1) Implement 301 redirects from old URL to new ones. 

2) Select the 'hide page from search engines' in properties.

3) Remove page from Sitemap - but leave published. 

If I do not put in 301 redirects and just select tick box to hide from search engines and sitemap, will this create 404 errors or will Google simply start to ignore pages and stop listing in SERPs?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

- add rules in dispatcher rewrite rules for 301 redirect. I would consider 301 redirect rules in the CDN or Dispatcher level, given that 301 redirects from the publishers may impact performance of your AEM environments.

- if your website has a "robots" feature which adds the <meta name="robots" content="noindex" /> on the page whether it is enabled or not, you can enable this.

- if you use AEM ACS Commons sitemap generator or AEMaaCS sitemap generator, you can select "hideInNav", which is a configuration used to remove it from being generated. I must note AEM ACS Commons sitemap generator or AEMaaCS sitemap generator can be configured to identify properties that is set to "true" to be disabled from the sitemaps.xml

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

you can use noindex meta attribute or add those pages in robots.txt

Arun Patidar

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

- add rules in dispatcher rewrite rules for 301 redirect. I would consider 301 redirect rules in the CDN or Dispatcher level, given that 301 redirects from the publishers may impact performance of your AEM environments.

- if your website has a "robots" feature which adds the <meta name="robots" content="noindex" /> on the page whether it is enabled or not, you can enable this.

- if you use AEM ACS Commons sitemap generator or AEMaaCS sitemap generator, you can select "hideInNav", which is a configuration used to remove it from being generated. I must note AEM ACS Commons sitemap generator or AEMaaCS sitemap generator can be configured to identify properties that is set to "true" to be disabled from the sitemaps.xml