Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

[Users Activate / deavtivate]

Level 2

Hi Guys,

While I'm walking through the Users ( AEM Security ), I've got something want to know.  When I right click on the user there are several option ( Create / delete / active / deactivate ). Obviously I know create and delete but I can't get the rest. 

Once I click active button, yellow things comes out on the right side of selected user. but I don't get What does that mean. If you guys have any idea please let me know. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Kim,

One other point - the permissions, known as Access Control Lists (ACLs), do not replicate.

Note that the terms activate, publish and replicate are virtually the same.

Properly creating a package of users and user groups, so that the ACLs are included, is one method for establishing them on other instances.

- JK

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 6

Hi Kim,

In publisher instance , it is not advisable to create any users / groups.

If any user needs to login to publisher instance, we need to create or activate the user from author instance.If you activated the user / group from author , you can see the below green box for that user/group. This means you have activated properly to publisher .

Now you can login to publisher instance with same user name and password which activated from author end.

Level 1

I don't want to get pedantic, but to get things just correct: it's true that the activate button is a way to get the users account from author to pubish, and if that is your goal, that button is the easiest way to achieve that. 

However the statement that users/groups shouldn't be created on publish isn't true anymore. As of 6.1, this is fully supported, and is recommended for customers that use (for example) commerce or social communities.

Thanks

Laurie

Correct answer by
Level 9

Hi Kim,

One other point - the permissions, known as Access Control Lists (ACLs), do not replicate.

Note that the terms activate, publish and replicate are virtually the same.

Properly creating a package of users and user groups, so that the ACLs are included, is one method for establishing them on other instances.

- JK

Level 10

Hi,

In AEM environment we will create everything in Author and then replicate it to publish instance. Replication will copy the same from author to publish. Now, to do so AEM provides option of activate. Once you activate something it means you are creating a copy of same in publish instance.

Those colors will help you understand the status of this copy operations, here are those:-
Color      Description
Green    Publication was successful. Content is published.
Yellow    Publication is pending. Confirmation of publication has not yet been received by the system.
Red       Publication failed. There is no connection with the publish instance. This can also mean that the content was deactivated.
blank     This page has never been published.

Please refer to official documentation to get more clear picture..