Expand my Community achievements bar.

User impersonating guide

Level 2

I reviewed the documentation about impersonating and I haven't found any clear instructions on doing something I need, or even if I can. As an author, how do I preview a page as a determined user?, is that possible, is there a guide explaining the process?, because I haven't found any.

5 Replies

Level 10

Are you talking about Personalization? 

Level 2

No, I am not. I'm taling about "Impersonating another User", from https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-1/administer/security/security.html I don't know if that is really what I'm looking for because the documentation is so light or if there is not really a way of doing what I want which is from the author perspective visualizing the page as an user from with some role.

Level 4

That topic talks about managing users, groups, and permissions. For example, how to set permissions or create groups.

If you want to see the experience that a specific uset sees based on permissions, etc, then log into AEM as a specifc user.  Tjis is how people tests users, groups snd permissions.

Level 10

Simple way to check is..

Login is as Administrator and impersonate as 'author'

Now you will see only those controls which 'author' have access.

Administrator

Hi Kreender

I am really not sure but exactly you need to achieve, there is some communication gap.

But i would still like to help you,

Case 1:- If you would like to see web page from customer's perspective

Then you just need to login with that particular user/group. Once you login, you would only be permitted to visit pages where you have rights [preview mode].

Case 2:- If you want to implement some kind of personalize page, which means some component would show image 1 for group 1 audience and image 2 for group 2 audience

Then first you would need to implement personalization and later you can verify it from logging in with that particular user.

Case 3:- If your case is, to look authoring environment from different users/Group perspective,

Then as Lokesh suggested, just login from Administrator and impersonate as 'author' or any user/group you want.

case 4:- If you want to have target content on the page and preview it,

Then watch this :-http://www.aemcasts.com/target/episode-17.html

I hope point 3 is closer to what you want to achieve.

Thanks and Regards

Kautuk Sahni

Kautuk Sahni