Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Upgrade acs-commons to latest Version

Level 2

Hi All,

I have ACS Common package 4.0.0 installed on AEM 6.4.8 server. Now I am planning to upgrade it to the latest version 5.4.0. Can I install the 5.4.0 acs commons package on top of 4.0.0 without installing any version between 4.0.0 to 5.4.0? Does this work without breaking the application? The reason I am asking this question is, I found some differences in filter.xml between the different versions. So, not sure if can we deploy the most recent version on top of 4.0.0. Did anyone upgrade the acs commons from the old version to the most recent one? Please provide some leads.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

@sureshsenapathi As v4 is compatible with AEM 6.5, I would upgrade first and then upgrade ACS Commons afterwards to give yourself the best chance of a smooth version transition.

In regards to the package, all deprecated features in v4 that were removed in v5 should be removed automatically as the content package structure is nested now instead of being a single package.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 3

@sureshsenapathi From what I understand about the changes between v4 and v5, features are more likely to have been removed than changed. Something to keep in mind is an upgrade should be fairly straightforward provided you have not extended any of the ACS Commons interfaces/services.

To be safe, I would personally clone my local development server, run it from a different port and install v5.4.0 and proceed with validation and regression scenarios. Once you have confirmed everything is stable, take a backup of your non-local environment(s) and proceed with installing the latest package. I mention a backup as I have upgraded from v4 to v5 myself but on AEM 6.5 which may behave differently due to dependency and bundle versions not being the same.

Level 2

Hi @cshawaus 

Thanks a lot for the swift response. Will check

Right now i have AEM 6.4.8 with ACS common 4.0.0. Now I am planning to upgrade AEM as well to 6.5. So, thinking about whether can i install straightforward 5.4.0 acs. If we upgrade V4 to V5 directly then whatever the deprecated/changed features in previous versions will remain on the server since v5 has only a few filters and not other filters to override.

Thanks

Correct answer by
Level 3

@sureshsenapathi As v4 is compatible with AEM 6.5, I would upgrade first and then upgrade ACS Commons afterwards to give yourself the best chance of a smooth version transition.

In regards to the package, all deprecated features in v4 that were removed in v5 should be removed automatically as the content package structure is nested now instead of being a single package.