Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Updating asset metadata is not reflected in the ui

Level 2

I'm communicating with Adobe Experience Manager, Version 6.5.6.0. I'm trying to update metadata of an existing asset.

Based on the API documentation I'm doing a PUT to :
https://dam.url.com/api/assets/.../documents/tds/test-lab9/Coca_Cola.pdf.json

With this data:

{
"class": "asset",
"properties": {
"unl:documentType": "TDS"
}
}

I get feedback suggesting that the update was ok:
postman bug.png

In the UI I can login with the same account and I'm able to set the Document Type to TDS just fine:
dam ui.png

The unl prefix is correct as far as I know since it is the same one as I find in the CSV export for this field:
csv export.png

The new metadata value is not shown in the UI when refreshing the page. Am I doing something wrong?
4 Replies

Level 4

Hi @jonasy18481676 ,

Try to get the API response after updating meta data and print it in logs..which will give you a clear picture on what happened. Are you able to see the updated meta data inside CRX for that asset. 

Level 2

Thanks!

I checked inside CRX and I found that I need to do create my request like this:

{
"class": "asset",
"properties": {
"metadata/unl:documentType": "TDS",
}
}
Looking in CRX I see metadata fields which are defined in "metadata" and in "jcr:content". Is it possible to explain this division?
Are custom fields always in "metadata"?
Is it safe to update the metadata in both locations?

metadata.pngjcr.content.png

Level 4

hi @jonasy18481676 ,

Sync metadata update between dc and jcr namespace - you have to do this sync after updating metadata using api call.
The API method updates the metadata properties in the jcr namespace. The updates made using the user interface change the metadata properties in the dc namespace. To sync the metadata values between dc and jcr namespace, you can create a workflow and configure Experience Manager to execute the workflow upon asset edit. Use an ECMA script to sync the required metadata properties. The following sample script synchronizes the title string between dc:title and jcr:title.

Check this for more details,

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/assets/extending/mac-api-assets.html?l...

Level 2

I checked in CRX and both dc:title and jcr:title are in the metadata level, not in the "metadata" level, not in jcr:content. So I think this is related to something else?