Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

The captcha on the blog can be bypassed when posting comments

Level 4

when adding captcha component  user could manipulate the captcha values as per the below .Could you please provide more inputs as how this could be avoid so that captcha value comes from server instead of UI value

< sling:include  path="<%= captchaPath %>" resourceType="foundation/components/form/captcha" replaceSelectors="captcha"/>

when user feeds data on captcha input then the below is called for validation
Then internally call /libs/foundation/components/form/captcha/captchavalidation.png.jsp

here we see that user can input is valid on the :cq:captchakey .Using browser technique we could edit the value of key and then it validate only against that.

So the cq:captchakey  can be manipulated as it does not come from server

String captchakey = slingRequest.getParameter("id"); -> This is the value coming from browser input if I am correct
String captchaUserValue=slingRequest.getParameter("captchaUserValue");

String captchacurrent = (Text.md5("" + (captchakey + mins))).substring(1, 6);
String captchaold = (Text.md5("" + (captchakey + minsold))).substring(1, 6);

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

The out of the box Captcha component seems to have limitations as you pointed out. If you want to run on on the server - i would recommend that you build a custom one using a 3rd party solution -- such as:

http://simplecaptcha.sourceforge.net/

Because this is a Java API for generating these values - you can build it as an OSGi. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 2

The out of the box Captcha component seems to have limitations as you pointed out. If you want to run on on the server - i would recommend that you build a custom one using a 3rd party solution -- such as:

http://simplecaptcha.sourceforge.net/

Because this is a Java API for generating these values - you can build it as an OSGi.