Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

strange behavior while starting publish instance

Level 4

I have tried the following 2 ways of starting up the AEM 6.2 publish instance on my local machine after unpacking using -unpack parameter on the jar file.

1. java -jar aem-publish-p4503.jar -r nosamplecontent  (publish run mode picked up from file name)

2. java -jar aem-quickstart-6.2.0.jar -r publish nosamplecontent -p4503  (publish run mode picked up from -r parameter)

The problem is with accessing the felix console (http://localhost:4503/system/console) without being logged in initially.

• In the 1st case, it prompts with the login page. I can access the Felix console by entering details.

• However in the 2nd method, it gives a 

HTTP ERROR: 500

Problem accessing /system/console. Reason:

org.apache.sling.api.auth.NoAuthenticationHandlerException

Here I'll have to first log in to CRX DE lite (http://localhost:4503/crx/de). Login here and then access the Felix console. 

Could someone please share some thoughts on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

coolpaul wrote...

Could you please confirm which would be the recommended way to set run modes. 

Extract jar first using -unpack then update startup script (<cq_home>/crx-quickstart/bin/) to change the port/runmode. And use startup script always.

Please note that I am trying this on 2 different fresh publish instances and Geometrixx sites are not installed in both cases.

Then sounds something else happening try to engage official throw support portal to investigate further.

I was bit worried about the exception being thrown on the page instead of prompting for the login screen with case 2. If this is the expected behavior, then we are good. 

Also, it would be great if could confirm if the way we could login to a publish instance is by logging in to repository via directly accessing CRX de and then access the felix console. If I login to host:port/libs/cq/core/content/login.html,

Try /libs/granite/core/content/login.html and after login you might have to explicitly update url to /welcome. 

I am prompted with a different login screen compared with author. Screenshot attached below.

Regarding CRX de lite, I am not able to explore the nodes and I am just accessing it just for logging in. (Whenever required, I modify the Davex Servlet value from /server to /crx/server to explore through the repository)

After login go to /system/console & then start the crxde bundle which is in resolved state. Then you should get nodes.  For security reason bundles by default not started in  publish.  Alternatively you can use /crx/explorer/browser/ to access the nodes.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

AFAIK -r stands for contextpath & not run mode.  In case you find our documentation says -r for runmode then it needs to be validated. Anyhow leaving this apart

Case1 is an indication that aem installed with geometrixx Or author mode & hence worked.  Where has case2 sounds author mode converted into publish because crxde light is disabled in publish by default & not sure how it got enabled. In any case case2 is valid behaviour of getting 500 error when geomwtrixx is not installed.

Level 4

Sham HC wrote...

AFAIK -r stands for contextpath & not run mode.  In case you find our documentation says -r for runmode then it needs to be validated. Anyhow leaving this apart

Case1 is an indication that aem installed with geometrixx Or author mode & hence worked.  Where has case2 sounds author mode converted into publish because crxde light is disabled in publish by default & not sure how it got enabled. In any case case2 is valid behaviour of getting 500 error when geomwtrixx is not installed.

Thanks for the response Sham. 

Please note that I am trying this on 2 different fresh publish instances and Geometrixx sites are not installed in both cases. I was bit worried about the exception being thrown on the page instead of prompting for the login screen with case 2. If this is the expected behavior, then we are good. 

Also, it would be great if could confirm if the way we could login to a publish instance is by logging in to repository via directly accessing CRX de and then access the felix console. If I login to host:port/libs/cq/core/content/login.html, I am prompted with a different login screen compared with author. Screenshot attached below.

Regarding CRX de lite, I am not able to explore the nodes and I am just accessing it just for logging in. (Whenever required, I modify the Davex Servlet value from /server to /crx/server to explore through the repository)

Correct answer by
Level 10

coolpaul wrote...

Extract jar first using -unpack then update startup script (<cq_home>/crx-quickstart/bin/) to change the port/runmode. And use startup script always.

Please note that I am trying this on 2 different fresh publish instances and Geometrixx sites are not installed in both cases.

Then sounds something else happening try to engage official throw support portal to investigate further.

I was bit worried about the exception being thrown on the page instead of prompting for the login screen with case 2. If this is the expected behavior, then we are good. 

Also, it would be great if could confirm if the way we could login to a publish instance is by logging in to repository via directly accessing CRX de and then access the felix console. If I login to host:port/libs/cq/core/content/login.html,

Try /libs/granite/core/content/login.html and after login you might have to explicitly update url to /welcome. 

I am prompted with a different login screen compared with author. Screenshot attached below.

After login go to /system/console & then start the crxde bundle which is in resolved state. Then you should get nodes.  For security reason bundles by default not started in  publish.  Alternatively you can use /crx/explorer/browser/ to access the nodes.

Level 4

Sham HC wrote...

coolpaul wrote...

Thanks Sham for the detailed explanation.

Level 4

Sham,

Could you please also confirm if it is desirable to Default Login Page value from /content/geometrixx/en/toolbar/account/login to /libs/granite/core/content/login"  for the configuration Day CQ Login Selector Authentication Handler" in a publish instance as this kind fix the issue while accessing Felix console directly. We will get the login screen by making this change instead of the exception being thrown on page.