Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Step Back Workflow Programmatically

Level 4

How would you go about programmatically stepping a workflow back? I've used the WorkflowSession.complete(WorkItem, Route) like so -

List<Route> backRoutes = session.getBackRoutes(item); Route rte = backRoutes.get(0); session.complete(item, rte);

However, this code seems to split the workflow into 2 workitems while stepping back so that in my inbox i have the next step and the previous step.

If there's no way to avoid having the two steps, is it possible to delete/remove the unwanted WorkItem?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Ugh, alright figured it out, something simple of course. If anyone else experiences this -

The problem was that my step B was a process assembler with two processes. The first one checked for the property and stepped back but the assembler went ahead and ran the next process. So the first process generated the A work item and when the second process finished, the C work item was generated.

Should have double checked, it was actually that the "Handler Advance" checkbox in the process assembler step is automatically checked. This is what causes the duplicate work items.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 8

So, if you have steps A - B - C in series, and you step back from B, you have inbox items for A and C? 

thanks

scott

Level 4

Correct, A and C are participant steps while B is a process step which checks for a property on the payload. If it doesn't find the property it calls the code above.

Edit: Just ran a test with only three steps like you described and it seems to be working as expected. Not sure why it's splitting like that in my larger workflow. Must be something funky with the OR split. I'll look into it more, thanks.

Correct answer by
Level 4

Ugh, alright figured it out, something simple of course. If anyone else experiences this -

The problem was that my step B was a process assembler with two processes. The first one checked for the property and stepped back but the assembler went ahead and ran the next process. So the first process generated the A work item and when the second process finished, the C work item was generated.

Should have double checked, it was actually that the "Handler Advance" checkbox in the process assembler step is automatically checked. This is what causes the duplicate work items.