Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Static or Editable Template? An In-Depth Comparison and Guide

Level 2

Have you been thinking about AEM's new editable template? What is the difference with static template? I hope this blog can provide you good understanding of the two, insights and guidance on your architectural decision.

I am going to analyze static and editable template from the following perspectives: template creation, structure, page creation, permissions, tasks and responsibilities, and I will give you some tips and tricks, considerations and references when using either, or both.

Static or Editable Template? An In-Depth Comparison and Guide | Adobe

3 Replies

Administrator

AEM Static Templates

Static templates are created by developers ( It defines page rendering component , availability of template for authors to create the page )

Stored in /apps directory of CRX

Once a page is created using templates, after that if we make any change in static template it wouldn't affect the page.

Design mode is available for applying Page design.

AEM Editable Templates

Editable Templates can be created by template-authors ( non-developers ).

Stored in /conf directory of CRX

Pages created using editable templates would affect if any changes on editable templates are done.

Page design is controlled by content and page policies.Hence no design mode available.

Source :- AEM Static Template Vs Editable Template

Also Do watch :- Template Editor Enhancements in AEM 6.3

Really Nice Community work!! Keep them sharing with community

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

What exactly do we mean by : "Once a page is created using templates, after that if we make any change in static template it wouldn't affect the page.".

I have a AEM 6.0 system with me where pages are created by using static templates. When I add a component or make any change to the template script (like adding a class to a div) the changes are reflected across all pages.

Thanks for any help.

Level 10

Thanks for posting this great community content!