Expand my Community achievements bar.

Starting AEM 6.4 automatically when launching an AWS Linux EC2 instance.

Level 1

Hello,

I deliver Adobe Experience Manager training by providing students with an AEM sandpit through ec2 instances hosted on Amazon Web Services. Adobe Digital Learning Services initially implemented the first AMI that was used (6.3) and I am currently in the process of updating to 6.4.

I've been able to deploy AEM 6.4 on a new Amazon Linux EC2 instance. However, the start up scripts for the Author and Publish run modes need to be manually executed in PuTTY for every new instance launched from the AMI. I would really appreciate if anyone here could help guide me in what steps are needed to automate "starting" AEM when a new EC2 instance is launched so students are not required to SSH into the environment. The /crx-quickstart/ directory for Author and Publish currently reside in /home/ec2-user/

Thank you for your time - I really appreciate how much assistance Adobe has provided in helping us deploy a teaching environment for students - and I look forward to hearing feedback on this matter.

Warm regards,

Giuseppe

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi Guiseppe,

your question is not AEM specific, but is a general questions applying to all linux systems you want to run AEM on. The simplest way is probably something like this:

• Install AEM
  • get the initscript from Adobe Experience Manager Help | Linux init script for AEM  and follow the description there how to install it.
  • make sure that you stop and start AEM from the command line using /etc/init.d/aem6 start and /etc/init.d/aem6 stop (using the "root" user).
  • And then test the restart of the EC2 instance and ensure that your AEM is properly stopped and started.

regards,

Jörg

Level 1

Resolved this issue. A cron job was implemented to run the start scripts for both Author and Publish run modes on boot up.

The cron job code was pretty much as follows:

@reboot /path/to/script1

@reboot /path/to/script2

Employee Advisor

A cronjob isn't the most obvious location I would look at to find out where and how a service is started :-)

Jörg