Expand my Community achievements bar.

Start AEM in background in a windows environment

Level 6

Hi,

Is it possible to start AEM in background on Windows without using Services?

Thanks

3 Replies

Level 9
   l I guess,  without a third party tool,  that won't be possible. There are no options available in Windows like Linux.

Level 9

Services is the the place where all your .exes are registered and run in the background.

Without considering 'Services' ,i think it's not possible to start/stop the AEM.

Thanks,

Kishore.

Administrator

Hi

We can not start AEM in background directly.

Could you please state the use-case for the same?

Some Workarounds to do so....

Option 1:

//Link:- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3582108/create-windows-service-from-executable

Use of SC.EXE

To create a Window Service from executable.

sc.exe create <new_service_name> binPath= "<path_to_the_service_executable>"
You must have quotation marks around the actual exe path, and a space after the binPath=.

More information on the sc command can be found in Microsoft KB251192.

Note that it will not work for just any executable: the executable must be a Windows Service (i.e. implement ServiceMain). When registering a non-service executable as a service, you'll get the following error upon trying to start the service:

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
There are tools that can create a Windows Service from arbitrary, non-service executables, see the other answers for examples of such tools.

Option 2:

// To open Program in minimized console window:-

start /min some.exe

This starts the program in a minimised console window, and doesn't wait for the second program to finish.

Option 3:

//To start the program with system startup

1. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button , click All Programs, right-click the Startup folder, and then click Open.
  2. Open the location that contains the item you want to create a shortcut to.

3. Right-click the item, and then click Create Shortcut. The new shortcut appears in the same location as the original item.

4. Drag the shortcut into the Startup folder.

I hope this would help you.

Thanks and Regards

Kautuk Sahni

Kautuk Sahni