Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Skip Assets from Asset Translation Job

Community Advisor

Hello Team,

We are using AEM 6.4.2 and using Human Translation project to send pages/assets for translation.

I have configured my Translation rules to exclude/Include paths with /content/dam/ path allowed.

My DAM structure is "/content/dam/XYZ/global", "/content/dam/XYZ/us", "/content/dam/XYZ/uk" "/content/dam/XYZ/de" etc..

I have image component which will be used by authors in different sections of the page and browse images from the above paths. Here I want to exclude images from "/content/dam/XYZ/global" but take images from other locales for translation while they submit pages for translation.

I have debugged the OOTB code and logic was in "com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.process.CreateAssetLanguageCopyProcess" and "com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.process.UpdateAssetLanguageCopyProcess" Process steps, is not having any logic to bypass the certain folders on any criteria.

I can think of two options as of now:-

1. Setting a DAM property either manual or automatic to configure a "global" = "true" on Asset metadata for global assets and set filter in translation rules

2. Overlay OOTB Translation workflows, "dam-create-and-translate-language-copy", "dam-create-language-copy", "dam-update-and-translate-language-copy", "dam-update-language-copy" and write our own logic of excluding above "/content/dam/XYZ/global" in customized workflow process of "com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.process.CreateAssetLanguageCopyProcess" and "com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.process.UpdateAssetLanguageCopyProcess".

Please let me know if there is any easy/other ways to do the same.

@BrianKasingli @Theo_Pendle . @arunpatidar @Jörg_Hoh @vanegi @kautuk_sahni 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Technically that's a feature request, and I would raise it as such with support. The question is the priorization of it.

You probably cannot wait for 6 months for that to happen, so I think that you go forward with a more hacky solution, which you can replace as soon as the feature is available.

Customizing the workflow sounds like the better idea, but decompiling product code and introducing a modified version of it into your application isn't a good idea either (omitting all the legal aspects of it), because this code can change with every SP/release/.....

Which means that more obvious workaround (maybe setting this global flag) might be safer.

But in the end there's no really good way to handle it, because you would need a small feature within a larger framework.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Technically that's a feature request, and I would raise it as such with support. The question is the priorization of it.

You probably cannot wait for 6 months for that to happen, so I think that you go forward with a more hacky solution, which you can replace as soon as the feature is available.

Customizing the workflow sounds like the better idea, but decompiling product code and introducing a modified version of it into your application isn't a good idea either (omitting all the legal aspects of it), because this code can change with every SP/release/.....

Which means that more obvious workaround (maybe setting this global flag) might be safer.

But in the end there's no really good way to handle it, because you would need a small feature within a larger framework.

Community Advisor
Thanks @Jörg_Hoh. I would like this feature in future versions of AEM. Let me know if i have todo anything from my side for this feature request.

Employee Advisor
Yes, please raise a support ticket, describe your usecase and ask if such an addition could be considered for inclusion in the product.

Level 1

It seems setting the DAM property will prevent from sending the Asset/content fragment for translation but it would not prevent from creating a localized copy. During our testing with Translation project, we noticed that if the content path contains 2 letter code folder name like "/zz" , it treats it as a locale value and not creating a copy of asset/Content fragment.Could not find details or logic for DamLanguageUtil.createLanguageCopyWithAssetRelations inside workflow code to confirm when it will create a copy vs not create a copy. Do you have any insight about it. Potentially, if we are able to use this 2 letter folder name , we can prevent it from creating locale copy and this could be potential solution. Need to find evidence for this behavior. We are on AEM 6.4.2. Also, in our case en_us is source language and target languages are de,fr,etc.

Level 3

Hello @Jörg_Hoh

I can confirm the behavior described by ktm2308 about 2-letter folder names in AEM 6.5.8. Do you know if there are plans to change it?

As for the initial request, do you know if it has been raised as a feature request and if there are any plans about it?

Regards,

Alexander Prikhodko

Employee Advisor
Hi Alexander, I am not aware of such changes. I would recommend to stay away from 2-letter foldernames, as the folder name is the very last fallback solution when it comes to detect the proper locale. Except that you want to be it a real locale. Regarding the actual question I am not up-to-date, I am sorry.