Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

\/serveStaleOnError doesn't work for 502 and 504

Level 3

According to How to serve stale content in case no render is available I have configured /serveStaleOnError on our dispatcher(apache 2.2 dispathcer 4.2.3/4.2.2).

For testing purpose I've created the following page:

<html>

<head>

<title>Throwing an Exception</title>

</head>

<body>

<title>Throwing an Exception</title>

<%

response.sendError(503, "test failure" );

%>

</body>

</html>

serveStaleOnError  works fine for 503:

And doesn't work for 504,502:

What am I doing wrong? Should anything else be configured?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

From what I understand, StaleOnError only works when it encounters one of these status codes:

* BAD_GATEWAY (502)

* SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE (503)

* GATEWAY_TIMEOUT (504)

So the functionality should be given in all your testcases.

Regarding your tests: Do you have a file /u/docroot/website.com/content/website/sitemap.styles.xml already in the filesystem, which can be delivered as stale file?

Jörg

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

From what I understand, StaleOnError only works when it encounters one of these status codes:

* BAD_GATEWAY (502)

* SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE (503)

* GATEWAY_TIMEOUT (504)

So the functionality should be given in all your testcases.

Regarding your tests: Do you have a file /u/docroot/website.com/content/website/sitemap.styles.xml already in the filesystem, which can be delivered as stale file?

Jörg

Level 3

Hello Jörg,

Yes I was verifying that files are cashed before I request it, but only 503 was returning content from cache.

When I was requesting resource with 502 and 504, cache was deleted and 502/504 status was returned on dispacher

Thank you,

Yaraslau

Adobe Champion

@yaraslaud208334 I can confirm that only 503 error code will force Dispatcher to return cached page. Rest of the error codes will remove your cached file. 

BONUS: If you are using ACS Commons Error Handler and have Throwable.jsp update its reponse status code to 503 to return cached page no matter what error you get.

@Jörg_Hoh can you tell us if there is any plans to opensource Dispatcher source code? It will make it so much easier to answer and fix these errors.

Employee Advisor

@Jörg_Hoh can you tell us if there is any plans to opensource Dispatcher source code? It will make it so much easier to answer and fix these errors.

Sorry, I cannot.

Employee Advisor

Hm, then I don't know. Can you raise a ticket at Adobe support and describe your findings?

thanks,

Jörg