Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Restoring deleted components

Level 1

Hi, how can you restore a deleted component on Adobe Experience Manager 6.4.3.0 - for example an HP banner?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about what you mean exactly.

Do you want to:

1. Restore a component that was deleted from a project? EG: /apps/yoursite/components/componentA. If so, as @VeenaVikraman says, you need to roll-back to a previous version of your applicative code. You can do this by either:
    • Reverting to a previous version of your application code. If your code is not in version control then... I don't know what to say.
    • Re-installing the last application package via CRX Package Manager
  2. Restore a component that was deleted from a  page? EG: /content/yoursite/home/jcr:content/componentB. If so, then you have a few options (depending on the scenario):
    • If the new (wrong) content has not yet been published, you can retrieve it from the publisher(s) by creating a package on the Publisher and installing it on the Author environment.
    • If you make use of AEM OOTB versioning system, you can simply revert to a previous version (see this documentation)
    • If you have a content export system towards lower environment (eg: your PROD content is exported every day such that your UAT/Staging content is always at n-1 days behind PROD) you can retrieve it from the lower environments with the packaging method mentioned above.
    • If your content was overwritten by a package install, you can un-install the package via CRX Package Manager (see this documentation).

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

@Bogomila  AFAIK , once a component is deleted , you cannot retrieve it from repository. The only way you can do it is if your code is maintained in any version control system. 

Community Advisor

You can't restore the deleted content. But you can retrieve in one of the below ways:

Page Versioning:

1. Create a version for your page

2. Revert this back to previous version (not the one you've created) and then copy the component if exits to another page

3. Now, you can revert back to the version you created and copy the component

Get it from Publish servers:

If you have published this page with the component then you can package only the component content (not the entire page) and bring it back to author.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about what you mean exactly.

Do you want to:

1. Restore a component that was deleted from a project? EG: /apps/yoursite/components/componentA. If so, as @VeenaVikraman says, you need to roll-back to a previous version of your applicative code. You can do this by either:
    • Reverting to a previous version of your application code. If your code is not in version control then... I don't know what to say.
    • Re-installing the last application package via CRX Package Manager
  2. Restore a component that was deleted from a  page? EG: /content/yoursite/home/jcr:content/componentB. If so, then you have a few options (depending on the scenario):
    • If the new (wrong) content has not yet been published, you can retrieve it from the publisher(s) by creating a package on the Publisher and installing it on the Author environment.
    • If you make use of AEM OOTB versioning system, you can simply revert to a previous version (see this documentation)
    • If you have a content export system towards lower environment (eg: your PROD content is exported every day such that your UAT/Staging content is always at n-1 days behind PROD) you can retrieve it from the lower environments with the packaging method mentioned above.
    • If your content was overwritten by a package install, you can un-install the package via CRX Package Manager (see this documentation).

Community Advisor

Hi,

Can you let us know whether you are asking component which is under apps or the component which is content authored on a page?

1. If it's in apps you cant get it back and for that you should have code in git /svn from where you can get it back.

2. If its on the page then you can get the versioned page back if you have created a version for that page and from there you can retrieve the component content.

I hope it helps.