Expand my Community achievements bar.

Repository growth reasons

Level 4

Hi,

We are upgrading to AEM 6.1 from AEM 6.0. We have 1.5TB repository with default architecture on author. We had the experience of about 1 TB growth in every 2 days for which we sought help from Adobe support. We were recommended to change architecture (separate file datastore) to solve the growth issue. But surprisingly the growth stopped on its own with any changes.

Earlier we were struggling to explain the cause of growth and now we are struggling to explain why it stopped.

Any similar experiences?

Thanks,

Anil

7 Replies

Level 4

Hi Donald,

I have tried this but I couldn't get much information.  Since the growth has stopped I am not sure I can generate this file again.

Regards,

Anil

Level 2

If you guys have done any UI customization on 6.0, they may not work when you decide to migrate over from 6.1 to 6.2 in future. Just something to be aware of. There could be many reasons why a repository growth happens exponentially overnight. Are there any backend scripts/processes running that interacts with the repository? Have you tried putting in compaction script in place "In 6.2 it's called Revision cleanup"? Have you placed any monitoring on the drives to see what is the peak time when the size growth happens? Were there any hotfixes/bundles recently deployed?

These should point you to the right direction.

Level 2
Level 2

What patch level were you on in 6.0? Please note that there was an issue that was fixed awhile back: http://help-forums.adobe.com/content/adobeforums/en/experience-manager-forum/adobe-experience-manage...

Level 4

~~I will answer pointwise

1) Are there any backend scripts/processes running that interacts with the repository?

None that we are aware of. We have inherited this project with limited KT.

2) Have you tried putting in compaction script in place?

Originally the repo was 3 TB, Tar compaction bought it down to 1.5 after which it was upgraded to AEM 6.1 SP1. After upgrade, it was stable initially then online compaction started firing but after sometime we got a disk space outage when we realized the issue. We restored from a previously available backup. Compacted it from 5 TB back to 1.5 TB but issue restarted. Suddenly more than a week back it stopped growing on its own and repo is at 1.5 TB only.

3) Have you placed any monitoring on the drives to see what is the peak time when the size growth happens?

No but I monitored it and it was fairly consistent irrespective whether it was night or day

4) Were there any hotfixes/bundles recently deployed?

No. We only installed content packages in GB size through the install folder method. We didn't remove the packages after it installed BUT when we removed the package it still dint solve the growth issue. We did a lucene full index for some search related issue. Nothing more than this.

@Jit S, we are upgrading to 6.1 for more stability and this issue has caused a lot of concern. First because it was happen and now because it is not happening without a proper explanation.

Thanks,

Anil

Level 2

were there any irregularities in the error.log? for example exceptions getting printed thousand times etc?

Level 1

Hi Anil,

It may be late but wanted to know if you have found the root cause or not.

did any  DAM uploads happened on AEM after its migration to 6.1?

Regards

Surya