Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

SOLVED

Recommendation on maximum number of cq:Pages created in same path

julianh55493871
Level 2
Level 2

Hi guys,

In my project we are using AEM 6.2 and I know that regardless if exist a limit of nodes under the same folder/path there is a recommendation on the number of nodes, mostly related to nodes with sling:OrderedFolder.

In this case, I have a requirement to create 2000 cq:Pages under the same path for example : /content/site/en/solutions. However, I want to separate the content in different groups for instance:

/content/site/en/solutions/cloud/...

/content/site/en/solutions/servers/...

/content/site/en/solutions/software/...

In order to classify the content correctly I want to know what will be your recommendation on a limit / max pages to be created inside each group.

I just want to give best experience to authors without impacting the performance aspect.  They are used to perform a lot of "rollouts with child pages" on parent level, therefore with 2,000 pages as child the rollout process will take a lot.

Happy to read your thoughts

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
Jay_Kerger
Correct answer by
Employee
Employee

There's a few areas to your question:

1.  Is there a system limit to the number of direct child pages?

- No, but performance will suffer at some point for ordered folders (which cq:Page is).

2.  Is there a user experience/usability impact to a large number of child pages?

- Yes.  "Infinite scroll" is hard for users and system, so a reasonable human limit would be 50-100 child pages if users will be directly navigating the structure (which happens in Sites).  Search is another tool for users, but for ordered pages, at some point a human will need to sort things around which is difficult when there are more than a few screens of pages.

3.  For my website, how many folder levels are best for SEO?

- SEO teams typically say shallow URLs are better even to the point where there are no "/" in a URL as the other extreme.

- Taking a look at getting some best-practice consulting on your specific taxonomy needs at a wholistic level.  Whatever requirements we have today, just get bigger tomorrow.

Cheers!

-Jay

View solution in original post

5 Replies
smacdonald2008
Level 10
Level 10

Checking with internal ppl. I do not think there is a hard limit (for example - no where does it state that you can only have 500 under a node) - but there are factors. I will post back.

Jörg_Hoh
Employee
Employee

There is no limit. And honestly, before you hit limitations of the server-side implementation, you will reach limits of the UI.

If people are supposed to work with these pages, I would rarely put more than 50 pages per folder.

Jörg

Jay_Kerger
Correct answer by
Employee
Employee

There's a few areas to your question:

1.  Is there a system limit to the number of direct child pages?

- No, but performance will suffer at some point for ordered folders (which cq:Page is).

2.  Is there a user experience/usability impact to a large number of child pages?

- Yes.  "Infinite scroll" is hard for users and system, so a reasonable human limit would be 50-100 child pages if users will be directly navigating the structure (which happens in Sites).  Search is another tool for users, but for ordered pages, at some point a human will need to sort things around which is difficult when there are more than a few screens of pages.

3.  For my website, how many folder levels are best for SEO?

- SEO teams typically say shallow URLs are better even to the point where there are no "/" in a URL as the other extreme.

- Taking a look at getting some best-practice consulting on your specific taxonomy needs at a wholistic level.  Whatever requirements we have today, just get bigger tomorrow.

Cheers!

-Jay

View solution in original post

julianh55493871
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for your complete considerations.  I will take into account.