Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Publish environment - MongoMK

Level 10

Hi all,

In the Publish environment, it is almost never appropriate to use MongoMK for web and asset management.
Why so?

We could horizontally scale Publish servers, just like Author.

Is it just the performance penalty of MongoMK, that is behind this?

Appreciate all your responses.

Thanks,

Rama.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

There are 2 reasons for that (personal opinion):

* performance: MongoMK has an increased latency compared to a local SegmentStore/TarMK.

* availability: you introduce a single point of failure (and you need to operate Mongo)

The only benefit you might have is the reduced amount of storage you need to the NodeStore (the binaries are offloaded into an objectstore, e.g. S3). But even that might be questionable, because a typical Mongo-Cluster consists of 3 nodes, so with up to 3 publishs even that argument does not count.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

There are 2 reasons for that (personal opinion):

* performance: MongoMK has an increased latency compared to a local SegmentStore/TarMK.

* availability: you introduce a single point of failure (and you need to operate Mongo)

The only benefit you might have is the reduced amount of storage you need to the NodeStore (the binaries are offloaded into an objectstore, e.g. S3). But even that might be questionable, because a typical Mongo-Cluster consists of 3 nodes, so with up to 3 publishs even that argument does not count.

Level 4

Hi Rama,

I have covered some of my views here https://medium.com/@monendra80/storage-mechanisms-in-adobe-experience-manager-aem-b537432f0688

, hope it would be worth your time

Thanks

Monendra