Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Publish button doesn't work under "Manage Publication"

Level 2

Hi:

I have a very strange issue with the "Manage Publication" feature in AEM 6.5.8.  Workflows appear to be set up, though I don't see any actual workflows assigned.  When I click on a page to publish and select "Manage Publication,"  the browser immediately generates three JavaScript errors (screenshot below).

I can click "Next," select the page, then proceed to "Workflows."  When I click "Publish," the publish button greys out, but the page just sits there and does nothing.  No further JavaScript errors occur.

This prevents me from publishing the page using any Chromium-based browser.  However, if I try it in Firefox, I still get the three JS errors, but when I click "Publish," it behaves as expected, publishing the page.

I'm not sure why these JS errors are firing in our production environment.  They don't occur in our dev and staging environments.  I also don't see a "workflows" step on dev and stage.

Any ideas?

mtlund_0-1665462873207.png

13 Replies

Employee Advisor

@emmceetee can you check error log as well while using chrome? Did the publish wf even got triggered?

Level 2

Hi Mayank:

Thanks for the reply. I checked the log and it appears clean; however, it doesn't publish.  

What's strange is that it only occurs when I'm accessing the author instance using the external domain URL.  If I use the IP address, publishing works fine.

Employee Advisor

@emmceetee you may want to check for network policy or the CDN if anything is blocked via the host. 

Community Advisor

Hi @emmceetee 

Can you check in your source if below JS is loading 

<script src="https:////cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.3/jquery.min.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Employee Advisor

Hi @emmceetee ,

Couple of things , that can help :

1. To answer your " I also don't see a "workflows" step on dev and stage." 
You see workflow tab, because the user being used to publish the page does not have the replicate rights, which would not be the case on dev/ stage.

2. The workflow which you are using for activation, does that have a synced copy in "/var" ?
3. Was there any recent upgrade, which led you to such issue ?
4. Check if "/libs/cq/gui/content/common/managepublicationwizard" has an overlay in /apps ?

----

Reproduce on local :

1. To test/ replicate this scenario on local , create a new user who does NOT have permission to replicate content.

2. Try replicating a page using manage replication with the user created in #1.

3. Check if you still see the console errors.

Note : Also, try doing same with sample content on 6.5.8 vanilla instance to check the behaviour.

----
I don't have 6.5.8 vanilla instance with me, I tried the same on Cloud SDK & 6.5.13 vanilla - seem to work fine, which points me to issue with custom code.

Thanks,

Milind

Level 2

Hi Milind:

Thanks for the reply.  I have full administrator rights.  I would assume with full administrator rights, I would also have full replication rights.  Is that not correct?

There was no recent upgrade.  

I just discovered that the problem only manifests when I'm using the external domain URL instead of the IP address for the author instance.  Nothing shows up in the logs.  Very strange.

Level 7

This error was fixed in ServicePack 11 or 12.

Level 2

Thanks, Magicr.  Do you know if it's the same issue?  Is there a release note that references this problem somewhere?  Thanks again.

Level 7

There is no release information. I know that because with SP8 the option for publish to particular time did not work when you have selected multiple pages. Only "quick publish" worked fine. When I opend the console from browser these error messages appeared. During checks for compability with curent project I noticed the error is gone in SP11 or 12.

Level 2

Thanks, Magicr.  This issue is a little bit different in that I'm only trying to publish one page and there seems to be something strange about it failing when accessing the author instance via an external URL vs. the IP address, but I'll take a look and see if we can resolve it with a service pack upgrade.

Thanks again!

Community Advisor

@emmceetee 

Looks like it was an issue with older version of AEM, please check this and see if that resolves your issue.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50165065/on-aem-publish-option-do-not-work-in-chrome-and-firefox... 

Level 2

Thanks - I saw that one in my research but it wasn't matching my scenario. 

In my scenario, it allows me to publish:

1. If I use the IP address instead of the external domain URL.
2. If I use Firefox (regardless of IP or domain URL)

All Chromium browsers failed in #1 above.