Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

Problems in generating UUID using com.day.util.UUID

Level 7

Hi Team,

I'm trying to generate UUID using com.day.util.UUID.create() and using constructor also.

I'm getting the below exception while generating through constructor -

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: MD5 not available
    at com.day.util.UUID.<init>(UUID.java:147)

I'm getting the below exception while generating through create() method-

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.day.util.UUID.<init>(UUID.java:190)
    at com.day.util.UUID.create(UUID.java:328)

Do I need to set up anything before generating UUID using com.day.util.UUID api? I'm using "day-commons-misc-1.1.2.jar". Because, the below maven dependencies are not working for me -

<dependency>
            <groupId>com.day.commons</groupId>
            <artifactId>day-commons-misc</artifactId>
            <version>1.1.2</version>
            <scope>provided</scope>
    </dependency>

Any idea?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

AryA.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Scott,

Observed that AEM is creating the UUID like below and the below one worked for me -

UUID.nameUUIDFromBytes(<emailID>.getBytes(Charsets.UTF_8)).toString()

This method is located in org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.identifier.IdentifierManager

Now I'm able to install the package successfully.

Thanks,

AryA.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

To create a globally unique ID from within an OSGi class - use this java:

UUID class. UUID uuid = UUID.randomUUID();     

String randomUUIDString = uuid.toString(); 

Level 7

Hi Scott,

Thanks, May I know the reason why you are suggesting java.util.UUID api? Actually I tried with UUID.randomUUID().toStrong() in order to set it to "jcr:uuid" property of an AEM user programmatically. But I'm getting the below exception while installing the package through http://localhost:4502/crx/packmgr/index.jsp -

com.day.jcr.vault.packaging.PackageException: org.apache.jackrabbit.vault.packaging.PackageException: javax.jcr.nodetype.ConstraintViolationException: OakConstraint0021: Invalid jcr:uuid for authorizable myname@domain.com

Here I'm trying to create an AEM user myname@domain.com. For this I have created the structure ("/home/users/myname@domain.com") programmatically under jcr_root folder. Also META-INF folder. But while installing the package, I got the above exception. That is showing error in jcr:uuid. So I thought of using AEM related UUID API.

But I'm running through the errors.

How exactly, AEM is generating "jcr:uuid" value for an user? I think I have to follow the way exactly how AEM generates "jcr:uuid" or Am I doing anything wrong? I have written proper filter.xml as well. Please let me know.

Thanks,

AryA.

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Scott,

Observed that AEM is creating the UUID like below and the below one worked for me -

UUID.nameUUIDFromBytes(<emailID>.getBytes(Charsets.UTF_8)).toString()

This method is located in org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.identifier.IdentifierManager

Now I'm able to install the package successfully.

Thanks,

AryA.