Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Page Activation: activated page on publish instance looks different

Level 4

Hi,

Say we have pageA in our author instance with components 1,2 and 3.  We activate pageA and in our publish instance, we see pageA with components 1,2 and 3.

We remove component 2 from pageA in author, activate and see the updated pageA in publish with components 1 and 3.

We added component 4,5 and removed 1 from pageA in author.  We activate and now we see components 4 and 5 on pageA in publish.  However, pageA in publish has component 1. 

We dont' really know what happened but both pages are now different.  How do we debug this?  How can we update pageA in the publish instance so that it is the same as pageA in author?

Please advise.

Thank You.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

First question to ask is are you sure that the content isn't being cached in the dispatcher incorrectly - what happens if you go directly to the app server (assuming you are using dispatcher). 

Have you examined the underlying content nodes in each environment. Specifically are you sure that component 1 has actually been removed from the page at the content level. It is possible for a component to exist in a page's node structure, but not appear in the visual display for any number of reasons (environment specific errors, dependency of other content, environment specific configurations, etc). 

First step is to compare the CRX structure of the page in each environment and validate whether the underlying content of the page is different or not. 

If the content is actually different then what you need to do is reactivate the page and tail the error logs on your publish instance to see if there is an error when the publish event happens. 

If the content is the same, but the page displays differently then you need to figure out why the component is failing to display on your author instance. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

unless manual modification or external process it is not possible oob.  Logs should help to find out. 

To bring back both instance in sync, deactivate pageA & activate again.

Level 4

Hi,

Thank You for your reply. 

I deactivated pageA in author and I found that I can no longer access pageA in publish.  When I reactivate pageA in author, I see pageA in publish again, but pageA in publish still has the extract component 1, which is NOT present on pageA in author.  It does not seem like the deactivate/activate process is bringing both instances back in sync...

Correct answer by
Level 8

First question to ask is are you sure that the content isn't being cached in the dispatcher incorrectly - what happens if you go directly to the app server (assuming you are using dispatcher). 

Have you examined the underlying content nodes in each environment. Specifically are you sure that component 1 has actually been removed from the page at the content level. It is possible for a component to exist in a page's node structure, but not appear in the visual display for any number of reasons (environment specific errors, dependency of other content, environment specific configurations, etc). 

First step is to compare the CRX structure of the page in each environment and validate whether the underlying content of the page is different or not. 

If the content is actually different then what you need to do is reactivate the page and tail the error logs on your publish instance to see if there is an error when the publish event happens. 

If the content is the same, but the page displays differently then you need to figure out why the component is failing to display on your author instance. 

Level 4

Hi Orotas,

You are absolutely RIGHT!  I compared the CRX structure of the page in each environment and have found that both pages are the same.  The component IS present on pageA in author, but it does not show up.  The component IS present on pageB in publish and it shows up.  That means there could be some issue with the component in author that is causing it to not show up in author.

I will check with the component developer.  It should not be an issue with activation and content replication.

Thank You!